Do special attacks delay base attacks?

I was just wondering if the special attacks when used end up delaying the base attacks. In other words, are the base attacks constant and uninterrupted by the use of the specials? Thanks!

What do you mean by “special attacks”?

As far as I know, all attacks are treated the same way - each has a cooldown AND an execution time, so each attack in priciple delays all other attacks by its execution time even if they’re already ready.

1 Like

He probably means non-boost-1 attacks.

Exactly. In other words, are the level 0 attacks delayed when executing the other boost level attacks. They almost appear simultaneous, but maybe with a slight hiccup of a delay. Hard to tell. I guess I’m just trying to figure out if it makes sense to level the base attack vs the boost attacks. In the first few levels it seemed like the boost attacks, for berserker, for example, but now I’m leaning more towards base. I want to avoid going to a guide or having it laid out for me. That is why I figured I’d ask more about the mechanic itself, so I could use the information to make a decision.

Also, while I am here, do all units get xp in each battle or is it only the ones you actually summon to the battlefield?

As I said, all attacks take some time to execute. And any attack that is currently executing delays any other attacks that might have cooled down already while the attack executes.

And to answer your second question, that depends on configuration. There’s absence penalty that basically says how much from the experience is denied to units that are not present in the battlefield at the end. So, set absence penalty to 0% and the answer to your question will be “all”

Depends on your Accessibility options. The default penalty for non-summoned units is 50%.

Note that the game doesn’t take animation time as cooldown time, so the cooldown for basic attacks (for Berserkers and Archers, primarly) is MUCH bigger than it says.

Now, you make me want to play DQ again (haven’t done so in a while).

1 Like

Does the total xp get divided by all units? In other words, will you receive less xp if you have more units overall in your army?

Nope, it does not.

Hope it isn’t poor form to necro, but I think better than a new thread for very similar info.

Firstly - I did not find the behavior of both a “cast time” (execute) and a “cool down” clear at all until I started to really look hard at the game. I don’t know a good way to present it to the user without cluttering things up, but I didn’t even know this existed at first.
Secondly - even knowing it exists, I don’t know how to determine how long each attack’s cast time is. I think I might have found it by parsing out the xml files (for making mods), but there is both a number of frames, and a frame rate. Is it correct that time cast time is # frames / frame rate? (And why a few attacks [rapid shot] “repeat/loop” while others like whirlwind don’t?)
Execute times do not benifit from CDR via speed, right? What about speed bonus from boosting? Any other factors in play?

I was trying to optimize my build and calc DPS values, in prep for some balance modding (archers are so good… till NG+, then they are poor. I wanted to lower that darn miss chance 10-20% but weaken archers globally.) But I ran smack dab into this big puzzle of how often attacks are actually happening - I’m hoping someone knows the ins and outs better and can clear up the correct way to sort this out.

(I know I’ll need to check “attack dropping”, especially for Slak, since at high speed almost all the time is in cast, not cool-down… but even using the simplified assumption that they always fire at cool-down end, I still can’t sort out what’s going on. Tricky to balance without the hard numbers.)

This is an example of what I was trying to use to determine cast times ( "| " is added after each < to make it show):
<| anim id=“slash_up” framerate=“16”>
<| !–anticipation 1–>
<| frame value=“55”/>
<| frame value=“56”/>
<| frame value=“56”/>
<| frame value=“57”/>
<| !–phase 1–>
<| frame value=“58”/>
<| frame value=“59”/>
<| frame value=“60”/>
<| /anim>

I interpret this to mean slash takes 7/16ths of a second - am I even close?