Will DQ2 work on a 3200x1800 display?

I feel a bit silly but I can’t figure out how to send PMs :smiley:

@Srekel click on the person’s name, a small popup will appear, click on the blue button “Message” on the top right.

Mmm I looked there but I don’t have that button. Maybe it’s because I’m too new a user? See if you can PM me first. :smile:

Oh yeah, you need to be at least a Basic user (not a new user) to be able to PM,
it easy to become one https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924/4

You can always use the manual trust level changing thread to ask to be a basic user.

Thanks, I managed to send one now :slight_smile:

After some initial testing with a few people with high-dpi monitors, I think I’ve wrapped my head around the whole concept. This week I’ll be trying out some new resolution options that specifically deal with this, details to come soon.

Sorry for the thread necro but I was wondering about this also. I am on a Samsung 34" S34E790C 21:9 @ 3440x1440.

I backed the alpha back in Jan 2014 and would love to help if needed.

Have you tried the fullscreen option? Would be great if the game could automatically scale up/down natively.

Speaking of odd displays, I have a Surface Pro 4 (i7 version) I’d like to offer up for testing, should that be useful. It’s got a 2736×1824 display (3:2), so it should be a good test case for odd resolutions. FWIW, I just purchased the beta tier, so I’ll plan on using that device during the appropriate development phase.

You can try it right now on one of the DQHD demo builds:

DQHD is literally using the DQII engine, so it would be an appropriate test.

Grabbing it now. I’ll see how the game behaves and let you know.

Answer is “Not that well”. I went into options, saw that the 2736x1824 resolution was available in the 4:3 category, selected it, then went to fullscreen. Now that I’m in fullscreen, it’s definitely not scaling well to the display, and I can no longer select anything in the menu. It just won’t register the mouse clicks. It seems to be interacting poorly with the Windows display scaling as well, as setting the window to 1920x1200 has resulted in a window covering my entire display. Looks like 1600x900 is basically a screen-filling window, but mouse clicks still work, as does mouseover.

For the record: Display scaling is at 200%

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

1. The “fullscreen” option just directly matches whatever your screen is, or at least it tries to. It doesn’t matter what window size you had picked, that only affects windowed mode.

2. What happens if you turn display scaling to 100% instead?

I suspect it’s an interaction with the High DPI / Retina business. We had some issues with this on Mac, I can look into making it work better with Windows. What sort of display device(s) do you have, and what setting are you using to enable display scaling?

Lar,

I’m using a Surface Pro 4 with its built in display. I’ll try turning scaling to 100% for testing, but that’s going to be a miserable experience on a 12.3" screen. I’m just using the standard Windows 10 scaling options.

I take it back… Fullscreen scales beautifully at 100% scaling, and the game is quite playable. It’s everything else on the computer that’s miserable (including the trackpad at this resolution).

One enhancement request: When attempting to use the device as a touchscreen, I have to double-tap for DQHD to register a click (using either finger or pen). Anything you can do to improve that would be appreciated.

Interesting!

Okay, to totally solve all your problems I’m going to have to make a few isolated test applications that just isolate touch, or DPI scaling, by themselves so we can have a proper go at them. Are you up for that in the coming days/weeks?

I’d be glad to help. DQ and DQ2 seem like ideal games for the SP4. Just let me know what you need. After this week, I’ll be back at work and could only test evenings/weekends.

For what it’s worth, the art scales perfectly and beautifully, but the text is a bit pixellated and aliased.

That being said, I think the cutscene sprite placement may be slightly off. In the caravan scene with Azra’s arms spread, her right hand is off to the side of the screen and into the black area. Just tested the demo on my desktop (1920x1200) and she’s placed well within the background.

I’ve also noticed that on the SP4, the wave indicator is on the top, while on my desktop, it’s on the left side of the screen. Overall, I’m impressed with how you’ve accomodated the scaling to different displays. My 3:2 and 16:10 displays aren’t the most common, and the game works well on both.

Lars,

Now that DQDX is out, do you still want to try and set up some test cases for the SP4? Fullscreen seems to work with scaling now, but touch still requires a double-tap.

On a very minor issue, it seems like the cutscenes don’t scale perfectly to a 3:2 display. Sprites regularly extend past the left and right edges of the background, which does not fill the entire horizontal space of the screen.

@vinco – if you could file any issues like this you find, please post them to the bug tracker. We definitely want to sort all this stuff out:

We can add a “touch” label if that would make it easier to categorize things too (only me and the mods can add labels)