1.0.1 Some enemies can't be targeted

It happened to me second time in the Night of Living Knights Extreme. I’ve killed every abomination+ but one and wanted to slow the last one by placing lvl1 Ice Mage so I paused the game placed mage and as I was on it exploded the crystal that was close to the enemy. I may have used other spells too but it’s unlikely. When I unpaused the game my defenders ignored that abomination. I was able to damage it with spells and surprisingly cleric’s Zeal also triggered (area attack damaged it too).

What targeting settings were your characters using?

Default Target First without any additional options marked. Only Ice mage had target fastest I think. I tried changing cleric priority healing/fighting but it didn’t occur to me to try change targeting options.

Same thing happened to me here with this cultist priest:
[attachment=0]canttouchthis.png[/attachment]
After he spawned my defenders just ignored him, though counter still worked.

Hmmm… weird. I’ll look into this come monday. Very strange.

I posted the following in a thread in General before spotting this bug report. Based on this thread, maybe it’s not phasing related after all, but I’ll leave my original comment as-is since I don’t have any better ideas. I can toss you my DFQ if you want, but I’ve made some changes to my party AI since then, so it may not be correct for testing purposes. It also doesn’t seem to happen consistently across multiple plays of the level.
Reposting my comment here:

I’ve got some info about this bug. I’m using Win 7 64bit, the latest Steam version (1.0.49) of the game, on NG+. Quest was “Gone Fishing”, extreme mode. I’m running in Hero Mode.
Spellbooks: Furious Start, Chain Lightning - Notable spells are maxed lightning, 10+ frenzy.

My guess, based on the below: It (appears) like defenders sometimes don’t recognize that phasing monsters have phased back in (possibly only for purposes of damaging attacks).

Here’s a screenshot; you can see that my Dragon isn’t attacking with bite/claw on the phased-in water abominations. He DID roar at (something, maybe them) briefly beforehand, however. I changed his AI settings from “attack strongest” to “attack furthest” and back, without it affecting his attacks.

http://i.imgur.com/If82c.png

My priest was continuing to cast Zeal, but not Holy Light or Ether Flare.
I tried recalling/resummmoning my dragon, but I don’t know if I was fast enough to give him a chance to swing at one of the aboms before they phased back out.

It doesn’t seem to affect everyone at the same time; earlier, I had my left team attacking normally, up until my berserker stopped attacking, but only my berserker; right team was attacking normally, as were knight/mage. I think he had only phased-in abominations within range at the time. (He cast one whirlwind, but I don’t recall if there was another creep that moved into range yet or not.)

I played the level again, same configuration, and absolutely breezed through it - the bug didn’t happen again. Notably, ZERO water abominations made it past the center platform, as I had/have a fully AOE-specced ice mage with the 3x splitter staff equipped; she consistently obliterated every pack of abominations that spawned. Unfortunately, I don’t know if those two in the screenshot spawned on a path that she could reach.

If I run into this again, I’m going to pause the game and make a list of what to check before I continue on. (Redeploying, shifting units around, etc.) I do recall that this happened once before on that level without Ketta; “Following Zelemir”. It hit my knight, who was deployed on the right-side path. It may have been against phasing red ghouls, but my memory isn’t great, and at the time I was sort of flailing around trying to desperately save my perfect. I very well may be wrong. However, I do recall doing some massive redeployment and managing the level.

I’m having this problem too, its really frustrating. A random number of defenders from random classes suddenly stop doing anything at all and just ignore enemies of all types which forces you to quit game after being in middle or near the end of a long battle.

spoiler:
This is happening to me in the first play-through and in the fight against Zelemir.

Thanks for all the info, I’ll write up a bug report based on these details and put it on my high priority list. I’ve got a big stack of bugs to fix for the new year :shock: