Alternate resources for spell casting?

(I made a thread about this a long time ago and I was wondering what Lars thought about it)

In Defender’s Quest, I usually felt like I shouldn’t be casting spells except as a last resort. Usually there was a razor-thin strip where I was doing just barely well enough that I could win using spells, but I couldn’t win without them. Then a slightly larger strip where I needed to cast a couple times to get a perfect score.

That was more the case with lightning, I suppose. Other spells were mostly cooldown-gated, so the return on investment tended to be a little better after the damage scaling got tuned up in later patches and as you got to later waves and/or farther in the game and the cost didn’t matter. But if it gets to that point, then the Psi cost has gone from feeling like a no-win punishment to a triviality.

I actually have no idea if you’re using a psychic McGuffin again, or what the deal is. For all I know, in DQ2 you can deploy as many people as you have powered-up bio-hazard suits and that’s the limiter, or whatever.* But the overall point is that I would find spell casting more fun as a self-contained limited asset than either something with a token cost or a shoot-yourself-in-the-foot cost of entry in terms of raw summoning power.

YMMV, the usual disclaimers, etc. Thoughts?

• This could actually create interesting dilemmas. Send one of your people out to drag in an unconscious ally so someone in the pod can use the suit again? Or just stand your ground? What happens to allies who return to the pod in the mean time?