An observation about New Game + and a suggestion for DefQ 2

Hey Lars (and team!)

This is way, way too long for twitter, so here goes:

I recently fired up Defender’s Quest over a weekend, rushed through the standard campaign, and dug right into New Game +.

Wow. I had forgotten how amazing New Game + was. It’s seriously one of the best New Game + modes I’ve ever seen. Between the side-story missions involving not-Azra and the various Heroes, the Upgrade Hermits making your obsolete Named Gear relevant again, and the often hilarious Journal entries that pop up roughly every other battle, the amount of added content is impressive and very enjoyable.

The problem? It makes the original campaign feel almost watered down in comparison. Starting a new save file (or going back to unlock stuff you missed) with New Game + fresh in your mind makes it feel like you’re slogging through a limited, too-easy campaign for the sole purpose of beating the final boss in order to access the “definitive version” of the game.

My point? I guess I’m really just hoping that some of this stuff makes its way into the sequel’s standard campaign. For instance, given what’s written on the game’s main web page(s), a snarky Journal detailing the faults of all the Party Members from the viewpoint of our, uh, intrepid hero seems like a perfect fit. If this game has its own New Game +, simply add some entries that deal with whatever content is added.

Of course, I’m not a game designer and I’m not the one(s) operating under time and budget constraints. I’m just putting out what I enjoyed about the original and what I’m hoping to see in the sequel.

Anyway, I know I tend to get long-winded and rambly, so I’ll try to end things here. Thanks again for the amazing original and I’ll continue to watch this one closely as things develop.

Thanks for reading!

For sure; segregating the Journal into NG+ was a major oversight. We’ll definitely consider a lot of this kind of stuff with DQ2, as well as a potential DQ1 HD re-release (see today’s blog post).

1 Like