Backstory- revenant

How did people handle them before Azra? Lots of people go to fight them without Azra and prison guy seemed to have lots of them contained and under control. Obviously with enough of them they are unstoppable, but it seems that people were able to deal with these unkillable things somehow before Azra came.

Can their bodies be destroyed to disable them with lots of chopping? Are there ways of managing them, killing them? Can people other than Azra deal with them, if less effectively?

Maybe they would disappear and come back?

James has the final word on this, but from what he told me, most towns have decent fortifications that tend to keep them at bay for the most part and make life more or less possible. The Revenant are kind of like “wild animals” and thus are dangerous, but people can co-exist with them and mostly eke out a living, albeit an impoverished, low-life-span, dangerous one.

The main thing is that most revenant are not specifically “out to get” anyone in particular. The power that animates them is looking for a very specific kind of person - and so Azra’s experience with them is quite different as the revenant are significantly more “motivated” to capture her.

As for fighting them in pre-Azra times, a random person could certainly fight against them to hold them at bay, but couldn’t make them stay dead. James never explained this to me specifically, but my guess is that they probably regenerate or something, so if you cut one in half, it comes back after a few hours/days/etc. Or perhaps it just comes back as the next stage in the “revenant life cycle” (revenant -> spitter -> monstrosity -> worm) as the body gets digested.

I got an idea! Ask him.

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

James has the final word on this, but from what he told me, most towns have decent fortifications that tend to keep them at bay for the most part and make life more or less possible. The Revenant are kind of like “wild animals” and thus are dangerous, but people can co-exist with them and mostly eke out a living, albeit an impoverished, low-life-span, dangerous one.
The main thing is that most revenant are not specifically “out to get” anyone in particular. The power that animates them is looking for a very specific kind of person - and so Azra’s experience with them is quite different as the revenant are significantly more “motivated” to capture her.

— End quote

Thank you for the information. I was quite curious.

Ah, I see. So the main strategy is just to make it hard for wandering revenant to kill people, delay the inevitable end. A sad existence. Azra really helped them a lot.

I guess it was pretty bad for the Quaid (ice princess empire) empire then, what with Zelemir motivating the monsters to kill all Quaid.

— Begin quote from ____

As for fighting them in pre-Azra times, a random person could certainly fight against them to hold them at bay, but couldn’t make them stay dead. James never explained this to me specifically, but my guess is that they probably regenerate or something, so if you cut one in half, it comes back after a few hours/days/etc. Or perhaps it just comes back as the next stage in the “revenant life cycle” (revenant -> spitter -> monstrosity -> worm) as the body gets digested.

— End quote

So given enough time their numbers increase enough to overwhelm any defence, but they could be contained for a while.

Can the corpses not be burnt? I know that’s standard practise for zombies.

@epicazeroth:

I will! Just as soon as he gets back to Texas from visiting his family in Maryland :slight_smile:

So, more people I’m geographically close to.

— Begin quote from ____

The Revenant are kind of like “wild animals” and thus are dangerous, but people can co-exist with them and mostly eke out a living, albeit an impoverished, low-life-span, dangerous one.

— End quote

I totally didn’t imagine someone keeping zombies as pets as the start for a potential future sidequest before they turned on their owner and needed to be taken care of.
Nope.
Not at all.