DefQ1 SECRETS!

Tip: Certainly NOT the most known one. :wink:

Iā€™m interested in knowing whether the last gold skull is a good secret or not. I will say one thing:

[spoiler]Have you seen any scenes where there is more than one flash?[/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

ā€” Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

Iā€™m interested in knowing whether the last gold skull is a good secret or not. I will say one thing:

[spoiler]Have you seen any scenes where there is more than one flash?[/spoiler]

ā€” End quote

Well, yeah, thatā€™s why I mentioned Slakā€™s muscles. That cutscene has 2 red flashes. I know what one is, there doesnā€™t appear to be an indicator in text or on screen for what the other one is. :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ve [spoiler]tried a Rot13 cipher and typing backwards[/spoiler] since that seems like it could be it, but no go.

Yeahā€¦ Iā€™m not entirely sure about that last one. Itā€™s not fiendish or anything, but I was feeling like it was the ā€œweakestā€ of our codesā€¦

9/9
2/2
1/1 partridge in a pear tree.

Good luck to the rest of you, and god have mercy on you all. :twisted:

Did you just say ā€œpartridge on a pear treeā€? Weird.

I do have one more suggestion, before this secrets update goes through.

Have you ever considered adding a ā€œCompletion: %ā€ area on the save selection screen for each file? I get the feeling it might motivate people to explore more of the game, or go into NG+ if they werenā€™t initially inclined to do so.

Say, getting 3-stars on everything in Normal Game is 35%. In NG+, another 35%. Completing all the sidequests awards 5%. Getting all books in Normal from Bonus levels awards 5%, NG+ another 5%. Getting all endings adds another 5%. Upgrading all weapons and armor, another 5%. Finding all the secrets, getting all the secret skulls and obtaining the Valley of the Forgotten book awards the last 5%.

If I finished a game and I only saw ā€˜35% completionā€™ on my save file, Iā€™d be pretty darn intrigued as to what I was missing out on - and if people play the demo and see it stops only at about 5-10% in, they might be more inclined to purchase. Achievements wouldnā€™t be a factor, because some of them are missable on save files and they donā€™t really add to gameplay.

What do you think, Lars? Could be nice to give people motivation to not stop sifting through the game until they see 100%. :slight_smile: I know I donā€™t stop hunting around in a game I really like until the completion reads 100.

Thatā€™s ideas I really enjoy! But I must make some changes:
*Each star awards 0.20% completion (so 40.20% with 201 stars).
*Buying/Getting/Upgrading an unique armor/weapon would give the player 0.5% each (15% total).
*Each different ending unlocked gives 2.20% (11% total).
*Getting a hero (excluding Slak from both game modes) gives 2.20% each (applies for NG+ too) (22% total).
*Completing a bonus challenge with perfect status awards 0.15% each (1.8% total) (for passed, only 0.05% is given, if perfect is then gained after passed, an extra 0.10% is given). Applies to NG+ too.
*Each secret and achievement give 0.10% (4% total). Hero Mode++ gves 0.2% instead

So, 40.20% (Stars) + 15% (Equipment) + 11% (Endings) + 22% (Heroes) + 1.8% (Bonus Challenge) + 0.9% (Secrets) + 3.1% (Achievements) = 100% Completion

I dislike it when games go over 100%. A lot. Because the completion % ceases to have any real meaning in indicating how much content is left in the game to find. Achievements, not being actual content, further muddle completion %. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok then, editing my post regarding that.

By the way, Lars, if itā€™s not terribly importantā€¦ I might suggest removing that ā€˜specialā€™ unobtanium skull.

Every other secret in the game is either an obvious reference to gaming culture or has a hint, but I honestly only managed to figure that one out because Iā€™d heard the song earlier that week and it was stuck in my head, plus I was kinda desperate. :stuck_out_tongue: You could replace that one with automatically awarding an unobtanium skull after collecting 9 gold skulls, unless you really want to keep it.

Optionally, you could just slightly modify the Tip in the Tips menu that mentions Mom. :wink:

Lars likes his mom alot because letting moms play DQ1 is in its webpage and there is even a tip about them. I guess he is prepare something better than a simple riddle for that one. :wink:

One more thing - do you think you might make a contest out of this? :slight_smile:

The first person to take a screenshot of the prize at the end of the Secrets update and send that in, along with each of the secrets in the game and how they figured them out, could win a free DQ2 preorder copy or something? Obviously not including people in the testing forum here (even if Iā€™m the only one who has solved them), but it could give incentive for people to get crackinā€™ when this is released. :smiley: Iā€™m curious to see if thereā€™s anyone out there dedicated enough to crack it themselves.

Or you could do one prize for Reddit, one slot for SomethingAwful, one slot for SteamGifts (assuming SteamGifts has been at all helpful for attention / preorders), etc

Yeah, thatā€™s not a bad idea :slight_smile: Would probably be super easy for someone to just cheat themselves the prize and short-circuit it, Iā€™d probably set it up asking them to give me the actual solutions to everything.