DefQ1 SECRETS!

Hey everyone!

So, let’s talk about the secrets in DefQ1. I don’t want to spoil the fun for you guys, but I DO need these things tested to make sure they work. So I’m going to make use of our brand new spoiler tag so you can spoil yourself as much or as little as you like in testing this thing out.

To Begin:
[spoiler]On the title screen, if you’ve already gotten the facebook/anonymous books, a new button titled “secrets?” will appear. It tells you DefQ2 is out and that you should visit the defendersquest2 site. Same as before, whether you go or not you can get the prize, which is the “Book of Secrets.”[/spoiler]
Afterwards:
[spoiler]The Book of Secrets starts off the whole scavenger hunt. There are a lot of secrets hidden in DefQ1 since it was first released. The Book of Secrets does 2 things: it reveals a new location on the map, and it will cause small visual effects and sounds to play when you’re in certain places in the game[/spoiler]
Then:
[spoiler]The new location is pretty easy to find if you have the Book of Secrets equipped. It’s a “strange monument”, on the lower half of the map after you exit the underground fortress. It’s currently available in both NG+ and regular game.[/spoiler]
Furthermore:
[spoiler]You’ll notice that certain parts of the monument are interactive.[/spoiler]
Also:
[spoiler]As you probably guessed, this is a place you can enter secret codes and such that you find throughout the game, and the Book of Secrets is your hint guide for when you’re in the presence of a hidden secret[/spoiler]
Next:
[spoiler]When you enter a code correctly, you will receive a prize – a special kind of skull.[/spoiler]
Then:
[spoiler]These skulls can be redeemed at the monument alone, and are used to purchase new books – The Book of Plagues, and The Book of Blood.[/spoiler]
Of course:
[spoiler]Rumor has it that there is a THIRD super-secret book to find[/spoiler]
Jump in here if you want to avoid spoiling the secrets but still be very helpful:
[spoiler]I’m still working on what these books should actually DO.
(You can cheat yourself these books easily – level 13 & 14 for blood/plague, and 16 for the super-secret book)

The Book of plagues applies the new “toxic” status to enemies, which is a variant of poison. It’s kind of a huge gift to permanently poison enemies, so it needs a drawback – so far, I’m making “toxic” cause these enemies to do some small splash damage to defenders on their death, and I’m making the book apply the “disease” status to defenders, which cancels their regeneration. Will need some ideas on balance.

The Book of blood applies bleed to enemies and defenders. It think I need to make defenders bleed at a higher rate than enemies for it not to be ridiculously OP.

The last super-secret book is “The Valley of the Forgotten,” which started as a placeholder but has kind of grown on me. It’s a representation of Azra’s Journal. Currently it does absolutely nothing.

The last big part of the secret, is that all four books you get in the scavenger hunt (Secrets, Blood, Plague, VotF), all have a big hint that you should “bring them with you on your next adventure.” This hint means that you should import your save file with these books into DEFQ2, upon which you’ll get some cool hidden item (haven’t decided what just yet).[/spoiler]
I’ve put in some basic safeguards to keep the secret-hunt from being IMMEDIATELY short-circuited:
[spoiler]For instance, when you export the data files in a mod, it redacts all the information from the monument’s setup, so that it doesn’t spell out what the answers to the codes are.[/spoiler]
That said, it’ll still be pretty easy to cheat, especially once the secrets are found out. That I don’t mind so much, and I think it’ll still be a lot of fun for people who are into this sort of thing.

Some people have suggested what I really need to do is:
[spoiler]Add a super-secret hidden final battle. Which would be cool. I might do this, but I’m really not sure… I need to get this update out and I’m not sure I’m up for balancing a whole super final battle.[/spoiler]

I know the 3rd book, it’s…
[spoiler]The Book of Synergy[/spoiler]

Soo… are we supposed to put everything in spoiler tags now if we want to talk about the secrets, even here? ^^

Well, I’m gonna do it anyway for now:

Warning, referencing all the other spoilers here, so if you didn’t want to read them, don’t read this one ^^
[spoiler]So, regadring the Scavenger Hunt. I absolutely like the Idea.
Just a few questions about it:

1. The “small visual effects and sounds”, will they be there when you place Azra on a certain field or only when you play the map?
    1.1. Are they in anyway needed to find the new location? If it is just visible on the map, then it doesn’t really have any purpouse so far.
    1.2. Or are the “small visual effects and sounds” part of the secret codes you find with the Help of the Book of Secrets? (or maybe that is the help ^^ it’s hard to imagine what you actually mean)
  2. Since it’s a skull you get, wouldn’t it be better to just give it in NG+? And thus, place the whole Event in NG+?
    2.1. If it will be always available in regular (the Skull, not the Field), might be nice to put some hint in it for those who are new to DQ1 so that they know that it has something to do with NG+… “This strange token seems to not fit into this world yet. Maybe when time start’s anew, it’s secrets will be revelared” or something like that. although the Text would need to be different for when you play in NG+, where it is actually used then…
  3. Is the “super-secret book” part of the “things you can get at the monument”? Or do you have planned to make something else to get that? Maybe playing and winning a certain map with both the BoP and the BoB equipped?[/spoiler]

Am I right that you can only test it in the newest beta-version? If so, how do I access that version? (I believe that the last thing that was said was that you would need to write a PM to one of you two to get the pw for the beta?)

@MenDude: Wait… I thought that book was already in the game? Are you telling me it’s not?

You don’t have to go all spoiler-tag-happy if you don’t want, especially in posts after the first few down the line. I mostly just wanted to test out the tag :slight_smile:

If you’re in this thread, you should be ready for spoilers.

As for tester access, it’s simple:

http://www.bugs.fortressofdoors.com/test/

username “tester”
password “monkey$wrench”

(sans quotes)

@Yinan: answers to your questions:

[spoiler]
— Begin quote from ____

1. The “small visual effects and sounds”, will they be there when you place Azra on a certain field or only when you play the map?

— End quote

They appear anywhere a secret has been hid. Currently this includes cutscenes, in certain menu screens, and in battles. The hints are not themselves obnoxiously hidden, they appear whenever you’re in the general presence of a secret. WHAT exactly the secret is, is up to you. to find.

— Begin quote from ____

1.1. Are they in anyway needed to find the new location? If it is just visible on the map, then it doesn’t really have any purpouse so far.

— End quote

It’s very simple. If the book of secrets is equipped, the new location is there (once you’ve progressed far enough into the game. It comes after you defeat zelemir for the first time). If it’s not equipped, it’s inaccessible.

— Begin quote from ____

1.2. Or are the “small visual effects and sounds” part of the secret codes you find with the Help of the Book of Secrets? (or maybe that is the help ^^ it’s hard to imagine what you actually mean)

— End quote

The sounds/effects are not themselves codes to be input. They’re there to indicate the presence of a secret. They are qualitatively different sometimes to give hints about what kind of secret you’re looking for.

— Begin quote from ____

1. Since it’s a skull you get, wouldn’t it be better to just give it in NG+? And thus, place the whole Event in NG+?

— End quote

This might be a good idea… basically, I want to promote DefQ2, and make the rewards useful. A problem in the original game was that you got some books basically as rewards for 100%-ing the game, which seems kind of pointless as now there’s little left to use them for, so I thought making the rewards potentially available earlier would be more fun for people. HOWEVER, it’d be a great idea to encourage people to play New Game+ and advertise that it exists, so putting the scavenger hunt ONLY in NG+ mode might make sense… I’m not quite sure what to do. I might move the monument to much earlier in the map if it’s only going to be in NG+ mode.

— Begin quote from ____

2.1. If it will be always available in regular (the Skull, not the Field), might be nice to put some hint in it for those who are new to DQ1 so that they know that it has something to do with NG+… “This strange token seems to not fit into this world yet. Maybe when time start’s anew, it’s secrets will be revelared” or something like that. although the Text would need to be different for when you play in NG+, where it is actually used then…

— End quote

Yeah, that might be a good solution. Make the monument instantly available, but only put the Monument STORE in New Game+ (and hint accordingly).[/spoiler]

For the last question:
[spoiler]
— Begin quote from ____

1. Is the “super-secret book” part of the “things you can get at the monument”? Or do you have planned to make something else to get that? Maybe playing and winning a certain map with both the BoP and the BoB equipped?

— End quote

Currently all the secrets are “things you can get at the monument.”
Basically, the “super secret book” can only be obtained by inputting codes that are not, strictly speaking, advertised (via the hint system). They are not explicitly encoded in the game, but they are the kind of codes that I’m guessing people will try anyways.[/spoiler]

The last remaining issue is what to do about localization. Some of these secrets depend on the english language, so I’ll have to think what I want to do about that.

Well, if you use word riddles that rely on the english language, I would say that there is no way around to not “translating” it but making it a complete own riddle in the other language… because word riddles don’t translate, at all -.-

Yeah, it’s not so much word riddles. I can explain in more details in a super-spoiler:

[spoiler] – where the first letter of each word in a sentence spells something out. This one in particular is hidden in the “TIPS” menu – and there’s no way to preserve it other than to either leave the tip untranslated (which is super conspicuous, and also confusing), or to come up with a new equivalent acrostic in the native language, and changing the input for that locale.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I don’t know much about coding, but it seems like it would be easier just to change the pw for localization regarding the tips menu. It might make that secret seem harder to find since people might think all would still be in English or something more obvious, but it seems like just changing it to whatever is translated might be easier.[/spoiler]

I’d suggest making the initial task completely seperate from the Face/Anonymous books. A lot of people ignore that altogether, or they only click one of the buttons not realizing that they can go back and select a different option. So they would never see this button, unless someone told them to go back and click Yes and No on the Facebook button. Maybe put ‘Secret?’ left or right of it, to ensure that absolutely everyone is aware of it - and therefore everyone is equally informed that they can preorder?

Edit: Just realized I overlooked the announcement. Disregard that.

Anyone have any tips on where to find the rest? How many skull areas have you found? I’m on 4 of 9.

[spoiler]Super Sheep Battle
Tips
Royal Records Room
Royal Record Battle[/spoiler]

Edit: Nevermind!

Hollow, I think you’re right. I need to put it front-and-center a bit more, make sure it’s not easy to miss.

@Lars It’s not in the game. I have a “hack save” with everyone at LVL 99 and with all golden stars, and no book of CENSORED. :wink: )

Could just make all the books require 3 gold skulls, if you toss in Synergy.

Also, Movies -> VII menu, every ending title is still bugged.

$ui_movie_end a, b, c, d, e.

Also, if you want suggestions as a reward for finding all secrets?

1. Super-bonus level. Not balanced at all, a by-the-skin-of-your-teeth battle. Bosses just added normally to the enemy spawn list like common monsters - Hand of Eztil, Axxima, Ozimal Kaz, etc. Put Mysterious Woman and Zelemir in there as helpers.

2. ‘Slak’s Boots’. A special item just for Slak’s sword slot, makes his attacks have a low chance to random debuffs in the game.

3. ‘Valley of the Cherished’, an art piece of the main party all together. I assume your artist has more important things to work on for DQ2, though.

4. One last special cutscene, not necessarily taking place during the events of the game. Bakal and Zelemir’s days past, Slak and Ketta’s adventure north, etc. This would probably require a lot of effort. :stuck_out_tongue:

5. The abiility to change Azra’s skin to Zelemir or Mysterious Woman in battle, with no other change.

If I had to choose? I’d pick 3. It’s touching, unique and altogether a fine reward.

Edit: [spoiler]Dramatic Pause, Zelemir Appears and Only the Beginning[/spoiler] don’t have flashes, when the one before the first one does flash. Intentional?

Gold Skulls Found: 6
Unobtanium skulls found: 1
Bugged skulls found: 1 (for a total of 7, I don’t have it yet but the input is confirmed bugged)

How many do you guys have?

PM/Email me the bugged skull?

Re – your question in the spoiler. Yes, that’s intentional.
[spoiler]I don’t want to give the impression that each one has a new secret[/spoiler]

EDIT:
(For everyone else’s sake): just talked to you on IRC. Can confirm the skull is not bugged, you’re just veeeery close but not quite there.

I have 3 skulls.

Btw, just discovered what the flashes mean (not all):
[spoiler]*] Red Flash - This means that a secret is a sentence/word.
*] Blue Flash - Means that the secret is a number sequence.
*] Orange Flash - Idk yet actually.[/spoiler]

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

PM/Email me the bugged skull?

Re – your question in the spoiler. Yes, that’s intentional.
[spoiler]I don’t want to give the impression that each one has a new secret[/spoiler]

EDIT:
(For everyone else’s sake): just talked to you on IRC. Can confirm the skull is not bugged, you’re just veeeery close but not quite there.

— End quote

Yep, I was wrong. I just didn’t realize that the monument had a different function depending on… interactivity level.

So I now have 7 gold, 1 ob. No other level is flashing on Normal / Advanced / Extreme. No other cutscene is flashing. So I’m assuming the remaining 2 gold and remaining 1 ob are things that aren’t hinted at anywhere. :stuck_out_tongue: That’s going to be rough.

Or I completely missed the flashes for the ones I am missing. It would be helpful if a level flashed as you moved to it, if a secret were contained within any of it’s difficulties or in it’s cutscenes (purple for a cutscene, green for a battle). It doesn’t give you any hint of what to do, just tell you “Look Here”. The fun is figuring out what the problem is, not so much where they are to begin with. :slight_smile:

8/9 Gold Skulls
1/2 Unobtanium Skulls

Best I can figure, the last Gold Skull has something to do with Slak’s ass muscles… but I may be wrong. I hope I am. :stuck_out_tongue: