Does Zelemir need to be unhurt for gold star on last level?

I’m working on the final level (The God-King Walks Again) on NG+ extreme. I’ve got the other 200 gold stars (and even got all the Hero/Hero+ achievements in a different game), but this final level seems an order of magnitude more difficult than any other level (even with max-level defenders and all the upgraded unique gear). Anyway, before I invest too much more time in trying this (already put in several attempts and failed), I want to find out if it matters to protect Zelemir. It seems that splitting my attention early on takes too much away from defending Azra in the first few waves. I know Zelemir casts spells for you, which is helpful, so I wouldn’t want him to completely die and I would protect him eventually. But does it matter if he takes some hits early on? At completion, if Zelemir is damaged but Azra is unhurt, do you still get the gold star?

BTW, the specific problem I’m having is with the spawn of the third wave Fetid Corpses that swim up straight towards Zelimir. I can stop them by putting some defenders up near the top or by burning away Psi lightening them, but neither of those solutions seems good, and I would just let him take the hits if I could.

1 Like

Only Azra needs to be unhurt. You can even let Zelemir die and still get a perfect, but his spells are useful so it helps to avoid that if you can.

1 Like

Zelemir’s level of harm (unhurt, damaged, dead) will affect which ending you receive, but as long as Azra is unharmed you’ll get all of the appropriate in-game bonuses. But if Zelemir actually dies, all waves from that point forward will go straight to Azra, which can make the level substantially harder. So it’s still in your best interests to protect him.

I found that boosting Azra twice at the very start of the level is an important key to victory. That lets Zelemir use his Heal and his 110% Frenzy spell (which can be stacked with Azra’s Frenzy to make it last 3x longer). And, of course, proper point distribution and good early placement for your characters. The third wave of swimming abominations (from the short path) and the fifth wave with the cultist priest that heads straight for Azra (on the short path) are the most difficult ones. Set up a good kill-zone on that short path and you’ll have a much better chance for success.

1 Like

— Begin quote from "bevinator"

I found that boosting Azra twice at the very start of the level is an important key to victory.

— End quote

Wow, thanks so much for this tip! That made all the difference. With the extra frenzy, everything is so much easier. Those 3rd wave and 5th wave aren’t even a little bit of a problem anymore. And I have no problem defending Zelemir either! (I guess technically he’s defending himself in a way…)

I still have yet to beat the level, but I got so much further and with a little bit of tweaking of where I put my defenders, better micromanaging of the targeting options, and remembering to turn of zerkers as cultists pass, I’ll definitely beat this level.

It felt like a brick wall and all I had to do was boost Azra twice to get past it.

Thank you again, bevinator :slight_smile:

[attachment=1]perfect-plus-plus.png[/attachment]

Now on to try my hand at that Endless2++…

BTW, in case anyone is interested, here was my final game layout. It got really easy around wave 25 – at roughly the same time I got all six of my rangers to max boost.

[attachment=0]game-layout.png[/attachment]