DQ2 Update and DQ1-HD Announcement

So, it's been a while since we last talked about Defender's Quest 2. I have three big things to talk about today:

1. General updates
  2. Announcing Defender's Quest 1 HD re-release
  3. Progress on Defender's Quest 2

General updates

So those of you who follow this blog will know we keep a

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.fortressofdoors.com/dq2-update-and-announcing-dq1hd/
1 Like

Sad to see Dean go, the animation for Dust is fantastic. That being said, Blake looks like a very talented animator as well, that hair jiggle in the basic slash, so smooth. Loving the DQ1 HD! That’s a very nice gift for fans, and I’m looking forward to sinking some more time into it. Your studio is an inspiration! Keep up the amazing work!

Wow. I was already going to get DQ2, you don’t need to butter me up any further!

Fantastic update.

Indeed. I loved Dean’s works. But the replacement makes it look like he never left! Amazing work going on. I also LOVE that nee cutscene style! So cartoony and cool! The charecter bios also have that Lars humour in and I like it. :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, that’s James’ humor, not mine :slight_smile: He does the writing, I just apparently take the credit!

Haha, still good humour! His writting is really cool.

Excited for both DQ1HD and DQ2 :smiley:

Nice to hear some updates once in a while

Yeah sorry about that. Now that we’ve finally got all our people lined up and working on things I should be able to do more regular updates, since my daily churn of “engine has more functionality and crashes less often” doesn’t make for very sexy updates…

Will the mortal enemy of the weaselmancer: The fishmonger be a major foe in Evil City?

Looks like the preorder money is being spent well. Great progress, Lars and team, keep up the great work!

Not a bad piece of news to be seen here. The development is coming along swimmingly and at a fine pace!

Here are my opinions on the two sample music pieces. Overall, they both can work.

The phrase easily heard around seconds 14-18 reminded me of DQ1 (which works nicely as a tie to the first game), but still goes nice with the rest of the song, which is new. (Either coincidentally or intentionally, it sounds similar to seconds 14-18 of the DQ1 song “To Battle!”) Until I heard that section of “The Ride”, I didn’t realize how strongly those bars make me think of DQ1. Be sure not to remove that part!

I can’t explain why, but when hearing this song, I get an image of an area with ice or crystal.

I think this would work well on the easier (and probably earlier), calmer battles. This sounds less grand than some of the battle songs in DQ1. Keep it in, though; having all the battle music “large” can get to be too much.

How exciting! I’m new to the game (only been playing a few weeks), and I love it! I’m excited that it will continue. I enjoy the humor in the character’s conversations, so I hope to see more of that! On a side note, I talked to my friend, Patrice, yesterday who has informed me that we went to school together. Small world. Great job! Gig’em.

Awww, cool! Is that Patrice Stewart? (Jedlicka now I suppose?)

Yes, that’s her! I posted about the game on Facebook. She commented that she knew you, and that we had been at A&M together. I lived in DG.

The game is great. It must be so thrilling to see it’s success and continuation, even through the frustrations. Also, I’m so happy that it’s available for Mac! Thanks!

Excited for the new cutscene art, and I look forward to replaying dq1 in order to compare all of the cutscenes!

Also already in love with the deathschild siblings and look forward to seeing their interactions