Dragon ranged attack bug

Level: New Game + on the sheep boss level
Dragons would not use ranged attacks on the boss sheep after it passed them. They fired fine if the boss sheep was in front of them, but once they passed through melee range and back into ranged distance, no more shots were fired.

Have not tested on other levels to see if this is a dragon aiming issue instead of a boss targeting issue.

Sorry I cannot provide a version number because i still hope to beat the sheep down, but it is whatever version I updated to tonight.

I can’t seem to reproduce this. I’ll keep an eye on it, though.

I’ve had a similar issue with dragons determining their attacks, including the situation described by the original poster.

I’ve only seen this happen with the dragon in my second slot (Trogdor); it doesn’t happen with the dragon in the first slot, and if it happen with others I haven’t noticed. Depending on how enemies approach, Trogdor will face the opposite direction to make the attack. I’m not sure if this is a graphical glitch alone or if he’s mistaking a negative value for what should be a positive and vise versa; it usually happens in a location where Trogdor is fighting alongside a knight.

I’ll try to get a screenshot and a save file next time I see this.

EDIT: Just attempted to test this again, and got the original bug; Trogdor was situated on a corner and was set to attack fastest and bulldog mode. After the outside corner was cleared, several slugs came through the inside corner. Trogdor did not target any of them with a melee or ranged attack. However, I paused the game to see if it was bulldog mode causing this; after turning it off, he attacked normally, and it did not occur again even after I turned bulldog mode back on.

Bulldog mode is… problematic to say the least. It’s super fiddly, and bug prone, and honestly kind of poorly designed. I intend to eventually replace it with, “target THIS specific enemy, and only this one until it’s dead/out of range.” As soon as I can come up with a good interface for it, that is.

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

Bulldog mode is… problematic to say the least. It’s super fiddly, and bug prone, and honestly kind of poorly designed. I intend to eventually replace it with, “target THIS specific enemy, and only this one until it’s dead/out of range.” As soon as I can come up with a good interface for it, that is.

— End quote

I think that bulldog mode could stay. A good interface for specific targeting would be spell number 7 costing 1 PSI, which would give the enemy a new status. That’d give you interesting possibility of having enemies who would “draw” attention to themselves even against the players’ will :slight_smile: .

I don’t know how exactly is bulldog mode implemented internally, but hopefully it could be just “fixed” as it’s kinda super-useful against regen types in NG+.