Fan dub

Wasn’t sure where to put this, so I figured here would be as good a place as any.

Anyway, hello everyone! Bought the game a few days ago off of Steam, and I absolutely adore it.

I’m a voice actor, and I was thinking about organizing a fan dub of the game. Would this be something that folks would be interested in?

And if so, would anyone happen to have a script of the game, or be able to point me in the right direction? I started copying the dialogue out, and after three hours, I only made it to when Azra, Slak, & Ketta break out of the Coliseum. Taking screencaps of the lines is certainly an option, but a text version would be much easier to keep organized.

You can get all the texts easily out of the game itself - just click on the M in load menu, export a new mod and go through the files.
cutscenes/scripts.xml - self_explanatory
maps/*.xml - these contain sections where characters sometimes talk
data_journal.xml - self_explanatory

Hey there! This sounds like a really cool idea and I’d love to help this fan project get off the ground.

As coyot said, you can use the modding engine to export all the game’s data, including the cutscenes, see this sub-forum:

viewforum.php?f=14

One caveat, however, is that I think the mod system won’t currently load custom audio. I can add this in the next patch if you want it, though.

The game wasn’t designed with voice acting in mind, but it’s flexibile enough that once I add custom audio support you could add it just by recording the lines and tweaking the data. If you look in scripts.xml, you’ll notice certain tags where a sound effect is played, like an explosion, etc. All you would need to do to add recorded voice lines is create the files, then add a sound effect tag with the right sound file id at the point where you want the dialogue line to play.

I would need to add a little more support to make this work smoothly - right now, sound effects will trigger and play, but if you hit back or forward they won’t cut off. So if you were to put in dialogue-as-sound-effects, then mash “next” and/or “back” repeatedly you could easily get dozens of dialogue lines playing on top of each other all at once. What you’d want instead is for it to halt all other dialogue lines playing and only play the current one that matches on screen dialogue. This would be simple enough, I’d add an attribute to the sfx tag for scripts.xml, something like, “dialogue=“true”” or whatever, and make the game treat that differently.

You could start recording your lines and putting in the sfx tags now, and then I’ll work on getting the extra functionality you need in the next patch.

When we get Steam Workshop integrated with the game, you could distribute your mod that way.

Thank you so much for the reply!

My original plan was to simply release it as a video on YouTube (video of the cutscenes with the audio of the voiceovers edited in, you know, keeping it simple), but if it’s possible to make a mod that supports adding the voiceovers, that would be awesome.

Of course, first thing to do is casting. Like you suggested, it might be a good idea to wait to see if it’s possible to add in custom audio until we actually have something to add in.

I need to add audio support just as a generic patch to the modding system anyway, so I’ll throw that on my list. Got a lot of stuff to finish for January :slight_smile:

Oh man! It seems that I’m a few months too late to join in this discussion! I’m considering making one myself, or at least of a few parts, though I don’t think I have a good enough range or vocal training yet to be anything good. If you’re still interested [or still around], I’m willing to help give voice to some of the females. I’m a college student, though, so finding quiet places to record is a bit hard. [Fortunately after next week is Spring Break!]

I actually have yet to get to work on this (been busy lately), so you’re not too late at all! I probably won’t be able to make any real progress until my schedule clears up around the end of April, but you’re still interested, Boots Girl, I’d like to keep in touch!

Same, especially since I have another quarter of school left and I haven’t tried to voice test for them at all. [and I probably won’t have even close to good voices or a voice range but hey, I have more fun doing the acting than trying to get to a certain sound]
I have a Tumblr, a Steam, and I believe I included my email on my profile. I tried to get in contact with you, but the places that I could find you on were all old/hadn’t been updated in awhile.

Yeah, don’t bother with my Tumblr page. I haven’t updated it in months, and I’m pretty sure I need to fix the embeds now that SoundCloud has changed its layout and interface.

Steam, Skype & email are probably the best ways to keep in touch with me (usernames for the former two are the same as here).

Cool! My Steam’s the same, and I included a message over Skype to let you know who I am! ^^
I didn’t listen to the sound clips but they didn’t look broken on Tumblr.

Hopefully we should get an influx of folks now that Steam Workshop is online. Yay!

In case anyone comes across this thread, yes, I am still very much interested in making this happen. The past few months have been a little weird for me, but I plan on getting something tangible together soon.

Let me know if you need help. As far as I can tell, this feature should now be 100% possible. I tested it a few times myself but we didn’t have time to create an audio track for Super Space Defenders.

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

Let me know if you need help. As far as I can tell, this feature should now be 100% possible. I tested it a few times myself but we didn’t have time to create an audio track for Super Space Defenders.

— End quote

Hmm… Maybe you could search (remember?) a cool space-theme soundtrack, download it and modify it… :roll:

I know this is copyright breaking, I was joking. I would never tell Lars to break copyright SPECIALLY because he is a dev. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a lot of great music on the Newgrounds audio portal, and most of it is licensed under CC terms.

— Begin quote from "JimReadsThings"

Hopefully we should get an influx of folks now that Steam Workshop is online. Yay!

In case anyone comes across this thread, yes, I am still very much interested in making this happen. The past few months have been a little weird for me, but I plan on getting something tangible together soon.

— End quote

Yes, agreed. Sorry that I haven’t been in much direct contact with you [outside a few passing times on steam, holy crap you’re nice <3!], the whole moving + graduation + job + upstairs neighbors being noisy sort of makes trying to practice some of the lines a bit hard. [plus I sort of lack confidence in my voice being good for “female” characters since I sort of feel like it’s somewhere in-between genders and I have 0 experience with doing voice work.]

Have you gotten any new recruits for the project or any other people showing interest over Steam Workshop?

— Begin quote from "ThatGirlwiththeBoots"

— Begin quote from "JimReadsThings"

— End quote

Yes, agreed. Sorry that I haven’t been in much direct contact with you [outside a few passing times on steam, holy crap you’re nice <3!], the whole moving + graduation + job + upstairs neighbors being noisy sort of makes trying to practice some of the lines a bit hard. [plus I sort of lack confidence in my voice being good for “female” characters since I sort of feel like it’s somewhere in-between genders and I have 0 experience with doing voice work.]

Have you gotten any new recruits for the project or any other people showing interest over Steam Workshop?

— End quote

Yeah, I’m ashamed of not making any headway on this, but life kind of got in the way for me as well. Work, trip for work, more work, moving, school, sharing an apartment building that doesn’t have soundproofed walls, and so on. The good news is that I now have access to an actual, legit studio, so no more recording in the basement for Jim.

I have yet to check on Steam Workshop to see if people would even be interested in it in the first place.