Ideas and such! Hurraz!

Hello, I was inspired by the ‘story telling as problem solving’ post to write up some of my own stuff and do a brainstorm for defender’s quest 2 and such. Here are the results!

• “Turns” that occur after every battle that update the game world in some way: weather, 1 enemy round added to all opponent levels, an “enemy turn” that advances from the opposite side of the map, etc.

• Maybe even a three turn system? 1 = player turn (move/combat/etc), 2 = enemy turn, 3 = neutral turn. It can be combined with either/or other game mechanics such as ‘rest/defend’ (against generic random attack levels), ‘prep to attack a certain area’ (gives a boost to attacking a certain level, but weakness against random attacks), or some other things.

-Optional endless battles for (every?) single combat level. (Maybe as an extra option, unlockable, etc)

• Endless battles with more than one ‘winning’ tier - something like reach 20, reach 40, reach 80 levels! Even if the later ones are nearly impossible/no tangible rewards, it is something to aim for - maybe just a ‘scrap’/exp bonus for every level past a certain point, so there is no achievement dependency on near-impossible goals.

• Level/layout types dependent on real-world environment, such as long paths, hilly defended fortresses, open plains, etc (you already did this somewhat very good, would like to see more influenced examples!)

• VERY big levels, that need scrolling/zooming/etc!

• More diverse attack radius. Already have small circles (berserkers, knights), medium circles (ice mages, dragon melee), defined circles (archers - which is VERY cool, btw! Never saw that before!), etc. How about: short/medium/long range square/fixed path, like a statue-still giant warrior with a huge sword or a fixed angle linear catapult/cannon, or a more widespread example of the archer - VERY large interior ‘no damage zone’, but a much farther ranged combat area? Or a melee fighter with a ‘diamond’ shaped area, etc. Lots of interesting things can be done with extending, defining and restricting effective areas! Super-long range cannon would also be neat, with a very large ‘no fire’ zone as well - ideal for large maps!

• Be somehow able to increase radius of melee combat ‘towers’, like with reach weapons (e.g. whips, spears, etc) and/or skill choices.

• Archer classes being able to go between ‘bow’ and ‘crossbow’ damage/operation mindsets (weapon or skill choices again).

• SOME sort of (near) unlimited (diminishing returns) ‘boost’ mechanic for in-play towers, skills, etc. Five levels seems very limited. There could instead be a point when boosted costs actually costs (much) more than the boosted returns, but it allows the choice to be there. Perhaps a level/skill based restriction that caps how many boost levels are possible.

• Place ‘towers’ directly in the path of enemies to act as a (suicidal!) roadblock (with appropriate warnings/etc, maybe as a sort of ‘spell’?)

• Other sorts of attacks/damage things: disease (mobs are contagious, and spreads to each other - most damage in condensed groups), (delayed) explosion (where they turn into bombs - generic or of certain elemental types, could even damage player towers), statue/frozen (where they actually block/impede progress behind them, forcing those mobs to destroy it to get by - maybe high level ‘ice’ effects?), escalating poisons (where the longer the ‘poison’ effect is active, the more damage it does - could apply to any DoT system), confuse/control (mob turned backwards against others), etc.

• Being able to set triggers/check marks for certain activity, such as a little check beside boosts/spells etc: [X] activate this when cool down is done, [X] activate when power is sufficient for boost (point cost +0 to +…), [X] Replace character when dead, [X] Pause/go to slow speed when a tower falls, etc. Could be either set on specific towers or via some global options.

• Multiple map ‘layers’: world, sky, underground, etc. (Sounds like something like this may already be a plan, though…?)

• Either/or skill trees (already planned, awesome!). Hopefully with MUCH higher/endless/diminishing returns skill options as well, for great customization/etc - maybe limits on each skill only dependent on total player/tower character level. Would potentially change them into different ‘sub-classes’, with varying appearances for greater distinction.

• Spell or ability that allows limited redesign of the map - perhaps an ability that allows to change the map a few squares around the ‘turtle’? Either temporary or permanent, though permanent would be ideal.

• Being able to ‘force’ the next round of enemies to spawn early/quicker. (Used in other TD games for quicker scores/levels/spamming groups/etc)

• In-map rewards/combinations that show weird/random rewards: like clicking on enough fish on a water level gives you a crocodile, stopping the first 10 rounds of enemies before a bridge gets you “Thou Shall Not Pass!!” knight, special ‘resupply drops’, etc. Can be used for all sorts of (minor) game mechanics and helps makes individual maps more ‘unique’.

• Combat/gameplay effecting map effects, such as tides, tidal waves/floods, lava flows/surges, meteors, heavy rain/snow/fog, daylight/nighttime/twilight, crumbling/dissolving landscape, shrinking/expanding level, ancient fixed weapons/cannons/etc (that can hurt mobs and maybe even close player towers?), etc. These could be overused and annoying, but carefully placed could add a lot.

• Multi-stage enemies (like past critters that spawn larva, etc) that benefit from being careful where you kill them, as they might explode, create a cloud of debris/ooze, spawn something that can move differently (e.g. through water), possess the nearest creature within a certain radius (good if nobody or a weak critter, very bad if strong!), etc.

• Different movement types as well as styles. TYPES would include ground-based walking, water-based swimming, air-based flight (maybe you will include this? It adds a very large amount of complexity, but I could argue for/against it both ways), and underground burrowing (unsure of how this would work - maybe only through certain types, and needs to come up every so often?). STYLES would include the WAY that movement occurs, including: mad sprinting (accelerates fast on straight paths, but ‘hits’ the end and needs to recover to change direction), straight line (oozes directly to ‘castle’, and/or flies, burrows underground), drunken path (wobbles around, 2 steps forward 1 step back, etc), and other such things.

• Modding/custom maps: make them somehow? Maybe even insert into main game as “modded mode” or some such?

Note that I don’t actually expect these all to be implemented, more to be idea seeds. :idea:

Thats it for the moment! Great game! :slight_smile:

I don’t really like tha turns idea (but that’s just me), because this is a RPG-TD hybrid, sooo…

And the range stuff, well, range diamonds are really complicated (gameplay-wise), but I do like the crossbow, whips, etc. and the booost thing! :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from "AirBreather"

• Modding/custom maps: make them somehow? Maybe even insert into main game as “modded mode” or some such?

Thats it for the moment! Great game! :slight_smile:

— End quote

Ahh, you can mod maps in DQ1, and the mod support feature will be present in DQ2 (I guess) sooner or later, so don’t worry about that! :wink:

There’s a lot still not revealed. I do know that Lars does care a lot about integrating gameplay with the game world’s overall logic (e.g., what would behave like a Tower Defense creep? Zombies! Therefore, DQ1 was about zombies. http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDouc … Summit.php )

So DQ2 is instead about supremely inhospitable terrain. Knowing DQ1 and what Lars blogs, there is probably some element of logic in the game world that explains where your “towers” can and can’t go, and what movement the enemies are capable of, etc. And some of it is probably just about the time involved. Ideas can be generated somewhere between 10 to 1,000,000 times as fast they can be implemented, on a case-by-case basis. Most of what you’ve said could be usable in some variation or other, but it’s really all about priorities in the end, and it all depends on what ends up interacting well with the machine Lars is working on.

I can’t actually speak for anyone in particular, but I think what I said is broad enough that it’s probably on-target, if not super-informative, but there’s always a limit of that kind involved.