Let's Play Challenges

I’m planning on putting my Youtube channel to some use (since I have one, but never actually do anything with it), and by that, I mean I plan on beginning a Let’s Play of Defender’s Quest. The thing is, this game may be incredibly interesting (and I do enjoy it very much), but there IS another factor to it that makes a base replay rather… Lacking.

So. With that in mind, and without further ado, I would like to ask everyone: What kind of challenge should I do? My most completed game is a maxed out party, 90 stars. This is before the NG+, clearly, which I will mostly be skimming, save for a few, more difficult junctures - the sidequests, primarily, along with the boss fights. Again, I ask you all - what challenge(s) should I do for this Let’s Play?

If I find myself undulated with ideas and suggestions, I’ll put them to a vote, along with the ever popular Multiple Choice option, where the next X highest are all to be done. Yes, this does mean I may find myself doing Main-only, Min-level, No Grind, No Artifact, Bad Books (not sure how I can do that with min-level and no grinding, but eh.) quest. If necessary. But I’m more than middling crazy, so I want to see what you all come up with.

many options, make your choice. normal battles only, no recruiting, no item purchases, no unique upgrades, no grinding, no books… combinations of any of those.

Oh, I know what’s AVAILABLE, more or less. I just wanna see what the people on this board (who are most of the fans, honestly) think.

Hey there!

One quick thing - might suggest changing the name of the topic to something a little more descriptive than “Hey everybody!” :slight_smile: You might get some more attention that way.

As for gameplay options, the single-most popular “self-imposed” challenge I’ve seen so far is “Hero Mode” ™, where you never recruit any generic characters and instead try to beat all battles solely with the main characters.

There’s also “Super Hero Mode” as I like to call it, where you not only do the above, but you also refuse to settle for anything less than a perfect, and you never let yourself gain rewards for a failure. Here’s the general rules for both:

Hero Mode:
-Never recruit a generic character, ever.
-That’s the only rule.

Super Hero Mode:
-Never recruit a generic character, ever.
-Whenever Azra ever takes damage in battle, you must immediately restart.
-In accessibility options, set the scrap and XP penalties for failure to -100%, so you get nothing on a failed battle.

Let me see, what else can I think of.

One thing you can do, is at the beginning of a new game, is cheat yourself the “Book of Daring” and the “Book of Silence”:

Add these two lines to the tag in your relevant save slot:

These two books are “bad,” in that they make the game HARDER. Book of Daring makes it so that if a defender is either killed or recalled, they can’t be re-summoned in that battle, and the Book of Silence forbids the use of spells.

(I’m pretty sure Hero Mode might be downright impossible with either or both of these equipped)

These books are useful ways to impose “only summon people once” and “don’t use spells” without having to constantly remind yourself. A normal, non-hero-mode playthrough with either or both of these equipped would be an interesting challenge.

You make a good point, I’ll change the title shortly.

As for your Book suggestion - the later one, at least, makes the game flat-out impossible, especially if it’s right at the beginning. The second stage cannot be done, because you need to use Lightning. I might do BoD though.

I might add that I had the most fun with what I call linear play. The rules for me were:

• failure penalty 100% (XP and scrap)
  • restart if no perfect
  • only go for normal victories

This pretty much restricts you in gained XP and scrap, but you have a lot of freedom in how to compose your army and how to skill up individuals, whether to go for smaller and better equipped (and boosted) army or whether to swamp the enemy with cannonfodder.

Compared to Hero mode, you won’t have much room for skillup experiments, no unique items and generally underequipped armies, but you’ll have more ways to solve levels. You should be able to beat normal game with at most level 15 party (=azra, slak, ketta plus other early recruits level 15, others a bit behind) and NG at level 27 or so (but there were a lot of small tweaks and fixes that might make things sometimes a bit harder and sometimes a bit easier, hard to guess about the overall impact - I have done it on 27 but a few builds ago.)