Making a MOD and not seeing backgrounds

I really enjoy playing Defender’s Quest. I first played it on STEAM and then purchased it from GOG because I wanted a DRM free version. One of the reasons I like the game is the artwork. I really like the backgrounds and character interactions between the fighting stages. So after beating the game, I wanted to try some modding and just play with some of the configuration files.

Using the GOG version, I went to main screen past “start” and clicked on the M button. I choose “Create New Mod” and then choose “Data Only (1MB)” and named it TEST-Data_Only.
I wanted to start with a clean unmodified MOD and play a few minutes and then start modifying files to see if anything was different. That’s when I notice the backgrounds were not loading. I would just see a black screen behind the characters and dialog. I do see the characters and dialog. I thought there was something wrong with the way the files are generated in the MOD folder. I didn’t modify anything. I grab some user created MODs and they all do the same thing. The background doesn’t appear to load.

[attachment=1]No Background.JPG[/attachment]

When I go back to playing a unmodded game, the backgrounds load again.

So I decided to start with a clean load. I deleted the STEAM version and the GOG version. I had to manually delete the MOD folder and the Local Store folder. I reinstalled the GOG version.
The GOG version executable is: 2.3.0.7 and the patch is 2.3.1.8. On a side note. Why does the main screen say the version is: GOG v.1.1.00 ?

I kept the default video settings so the game plays in a window. I started a new game and the background load. I created a MOD and again choose “Data Only (1MB)”. The backgrounds didn’t load. I tried this with STEAM too and I had the same results.

I took a look at Lars Doucet Official Modding guide and the background section is discussed and says the backgrounds are here:
cutscenes\backgrounds\ ← background art for cutscenes/towns
and the cutscene script is here: cutscenes\scripts.xml ← cutscene scripts

I tired to open up scripts.xml with XML Notepad 2007 and I got the following error:

[attachment=0]error1.JPG[/attachment]

I opened up the file in Notepad++ for line 88 and saw: <!------------------------------------------------->
I don’t know if that is an issue or not?

I ready many post and I didn’t find anyone who seems to have this problem or notice it and I didn’t see it in a bug report but I could have easily missed it. I’m trying to find out is there something that I’m not doing to load the backgrounds in MODs? I really don’t want to MOD if I can’t see the cool backgrounds when I play the game.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance…

Ah, this happened to me ever since I modded a cutscene (first made in v1.0.98)! I tought it was because I did not have the BG image, but then I thought the game should be using default ones. So I don’t know what’s happening.

This bug also happens with most of the maps, the path where Revenant walks in DULL BLACK.

P.S.: If Defense is applied to Azra, the numbers that indicate damage are not grey (but Defense itself still works).

— Begin quote from "hickszzz"

I don’t know if that is an issue or not?

— End quote

Not very likely - it’s just that notepad worries about XML more than the game does :slight_smile: .

Have you tried doing a full mod, not just data?

My mod has everything except BG art (so I have chosen the third option).

Btw, music and sounds should be exported too.

— Begin quote from "coyot"

Not very likely - it’s just that notepad worries about XML more than the game does :slight_smile: .

— End quote

Thanks. I looked at the scripts.xml and this is the only location where that occurs. All the other comments never have more than – between alphanumeric characters.

— Begin quote from "MenDude"

My mod has everything except BG art (so I have chosen the third option).

— End quote

coyot brought this up too. Does the backgrounds show up if the last MOD option is chosen? I created a MOD with the largest option which is: +42M of Bkg Art. It takes a while but I confirmed that the folder with the backgrounds are there. But when I loaded the MOD, with no modifications, it still doesn’t show the backgrounds.

I agree that it would be useful to have the music and sound files exported too.

I do notice one thing. When Defender’s Quest loads from the exe. You see “Loading” … “Loading Assets…100%”… "Loading Cutscenes…100%… “Loading Complete”

When I load a MOD, I only see Loading…Loading Complete.

This bug was not very severe back in v1.0.98, some BG would still appear.

— Begin quote from "hickszzz"

I do notice one thing. When Defender’s Quest loads from the exe. You see “Loading” … “Loading Assets…100%”… "Loading Cutscenes…100%… “Loading Complete”

When I load a MOD, I only see Loading…Loading Complete.

— End quote

Oh, that’s nothing to worry about.

hickszzz:
Pretty sure I fixed this a while back, but it’s still broken in 1.1.00?

As for the versions, GOG slaps their own weird numbering scheme on it. The game has it’s own version number, which is 1.1.0X at the moment, at the bottom right hand corner.

Can you post a zip file with your mod somewhere so I can try it out with the latest codebase?

@Lars You might want to see mine too, it has the same symptoms.

Looking into it now.

Confirmed, I’ve got the same behavior. Just a straight-dump of mod data, doesn’t seem to work when I play it. Gonna test space defenders, see if that’s bugged too.

Last time I played it (which was when you posted it here on the forums), it was working just perfectly.

Okay Space Defenders was temporarily broken due to recent changes, fixed the engine so it works again. Testing again, vanilla full-export mod still broken. Looks like the background images load correctly, but are not fetched with the right name. There’s a disconnect between the name it gives them on export and what it expects in-game afterwards.

Alright, fixed!

The fix will be in version 1.1.06, and the next official patch will go out to all our distribution partners, including GamersGate, Steam, GOG, Kongregate, and Humble Store.

Oh wow. I just got home from work. A lot has happen.

Thank you larsiusprime for fixing the issue. I really appreciate it. I spent hours going through the STEAM and GOG forums because I was convinced that I wasn’t enabling something in the MODs.

Yah, the GOG patch version does bother me. Thanks for answering that question.

I look forward to the next patch release… :smiley:

I can finally see if my cutscenes’ BG is appropriate! Hehe.

Thx for fixing this so quick!

New test build should be up on the test server. PM me if you want tester credentials for DEFQ1.

That explains why I have 1.1.05 and not 1.1.06, I thought you uploaded it already. XD

Yeah check the server again.

Yup, it’s right there, staring at me. :wink: