Modding help: Heals and descriptions

Hi, there. I recently got Defender’s Quest and after blitzing through it I’ve decided to try modding it a bit. For lack of any better inspiration to get me familiarized with the system, I’m making classes based on Chrono Trigger. However, I’ve run into a few issues that I can’t seem to solve.

1. Healing. I’ve tried adding a healing spell to the Ranger in place of Triple Shot. However, nothing seems to work. Whenever the Ranger is boosted to the point be being able to use the heal, she just stands there, paralyzed, and never does anything else until recalled and resummoned. I’ve tried various combinations of a straight copy-paste of the Healer’s Aid spell (with the animation changed to something the Ranger actually has defined, of course) and a standard attack with ‘heal=“minor”’ tacked in to the info tag (code below, you can see commented out some of the things I’ve tried in various combinations).
    [spoiler]

<!--<flavor />-->  
     	<info type="guided_projectile" sfx_each="arrow" sfx_end="arrow" heal="minor" speed="14" anim="shoot" shape="n/a" priority="1" single_target="true" random_targets="false" strike_through="false" />  
     	<!--<info anim="shoot" sfx="arrow" heal="minor" type="splash" shape="n/a" priority="1" single_target="true" random_targets="false" strike_through="false" />-->  
     	<stats level="1" attack_mult="1.00" cooldown="1" num_attacks="1" />  
     	<stats level="2" attack_mult="1.10" cooldown="1" num_attacks="1" />  
     	<stats level="3" attack_mult="1.20" cooldown="1" num_attacks="1" />  
     	<stats level="4" attack_mult="1.30" cooldown="1" num_attacks="1" />  
     	<stats level="5" attack_mult="1.40" cooldown="1" num_attacks="1" />  
     	<stats level="6" attack_mult="1.50" cooldown="1" num_attacks="1" />  
     	<stats level="7" attack_mult="1.60" cooldown="1" num_attacks="1" />  
     	<stats level="8" attack_mult="1.80" cooldown="1" num_attacks="1" />  
     	<stats level="9" attack_mult="2.00" cooldown="1" num_attacks="1" />  
     </skill>[/spoiler]  

Additionally, I can’t find where the Healer has it to use the heal/attack/standard priority switch instead of nearest/farthest/strongest/weakest that attacking defenders use.

Edit: From reading http://www.leveluplabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1312&sid=c300f437f67c01a36fb8ebeaae9af884, it seems that which classes can use healing is hardcoded into the game based on whether or not they’re named “healer”, so this appears to be impossible. Bummer. It would be nice to be a little more dynamic (at the very least having something in the defender definition that specifies whether they use the healer AI or the regular AI instead of it being hardcoded).

1. Descriptions. I’ve tried changing the text in the en-US localization, but nothing shows up in game. For example, with the skill above, I still see “$SKILL_RANGER_A_AURA” in game despite adding a line for $SKILL_RANGER_A_AURA in data_defender.csv. Similarly, changing the contents column of the $SKILL_BERSERKER_A_SLASH to, say, “Pokamagigger”, doesn’t show up in game. It’s not just data_defender.csv, I’ve seen it remain unchanged for text that should be read from other files as well.

Related to the above, I’m also getting really weird text when I add the strike_through flavor to an attack. Instead of what you would expect in the skill description, say,

Target: 1 foe
         # Hits: 1 per foe
            DMG: 63 +6.3
*Strike-through: 100%
       Cooldown: 2.11 sec  

it gets weird (see below).
[spoiler][/spoiler]
In the party screen (image above), it says “FLAV_STRIK 100%” on the expected line (with the ‘F’ partially cut off on the left edge of the screen), and “E:” on the next line, with “Cooldown:” pushed to one line lower, below the line where the actual cooldown time is displayed. In a battle, when you mouse over the technique, it just says “*null:” instead of the flavour string thing. This is particularly odd, as $FLAV_STRIKE_THROUGH is present in data_status_effects.csv even without modding.

I’m running Mac OS 10.8 with v1.1.33 of Defender’s Quest via Steam. I’ve gotten some attack skills to work so far (mechanically, at least, though not their text), but the healing thing has me baffled. I’m using Apache OpenOffice v4.0.1 to edit the .csv files, in case that matters, although I’ve also used TextEdit, just to confirm, and it still doesn’t work for adding or changing game strings.