Respec cost

Since apparently I have nothing better to do than make posts on this forum, I would suggest a scaled respec cost. I know that some of my earlier units had their points spent in a pretty stupid way. I learned as the game progressed how to use their points better, but now the respect cost is too much for a level 19 unit (around 9000 scrap) to be worth it. It’s much better to spend that scrap on an equipment upgrade. Respeccing should definitely be something you don’t do after every level, but it should start out much cheaper and be a set cost regardless of character level. Then that cost can increase with each respec much like the unit recruitment cost. That would let players fix their earlier mistakes.

-zenchronus

Re-spec actually seems to be too low a cost, in my opinion. That *ought *to be a punitive decision. When you only have to do a quick level grind or two to get enough scrap to re-design, it makes it too easy to to be flippant about how you spend your points. That should be something that long-thought out trial-and-error rewards… not quick point shuffling.

— Begin quote from "zenchronus"

That would let players fix their earlier mistakes.

— End quote

If people did this allot my best suggestion would be to allow for one free respec per unit, after it has been used it should go back to what the cost scheme is now but if needed lowered a little.

Respec costs have been a constant debate for us. I started out pretty harsh with it - your character actually lost a level on a respec (which is totally reasonable - it’s “experience” right? So if you re-focus yourself, you’re less experienced). Beta testers said I was being a jaded old troll and asked to switch to scrap, so we did. But, as yogsloth pointed out, I want respecing to be “punitive” at some level. I specifically don’t want this to be a game where you change your skill trees on a per-battle basis. If anyone spends more time on the party screen than in battle, I’ll feel that I’ve failed. So we’re trying to strike a balance between “let players fix their mistakes” and “don’t let players punish themselves by OCDing the skill trees”. We’re looking at these numbers again, but I have my doubts about them changing too much. A 1-time respec seems reasonable, but would likely be fairly difficult to implement (relatively speaking).

I definitely found myself respecing heavily for the ultimate sheep level. It’s the kind of thing where you really need something unique. Maybe that wouldn’t happen if I started a brand new game knowing what I know now, but… yeah, not getting Evni anytime soon.

I’ve actually never used it… It was too expensive to be justified when I needed the money when I needed scrap for equipment, and once I got all the equipment bought (Evni included) I didn’t need to move points, I’d already maxed everything important.