Too Long

Upgrading takes too long. When I upgrade my units, I end up dying because it takes 1 full second even on 4x. Make it only a few frames.

Yeah, trying to “clutch Boost” a defender is actually a terrible idea. Not sure if intentional or not.

— Begin quote from "epicazeroth"

Upgrading takes too long. When I upgrade my units, I end up dying because it takes 1 full second even on 4x. Make it only a few frames.

— End quote

You’ve just pointed out a rare strategic element in the brainless genre of tower defense. Getting rid of boost downtime would make the game even more straight-forward. It’s a positive element in other games of the genre as well, such as Defense Grid.

— Begin quote from "Marak"

Yeah, trying to “clutch Boost” a defender is actually a terrible idea. Not sure if intentional or not.

— End quote

But I can’t anticipate whether I’ll need to Boost before I do.

— End quote

— End quote

Then play on casual? That’s a player shortcoming, not a problem with the game.

On the plus side, now that Lightning and Crystal scale with Azra’s level/attack power, it’s actually possible to use those to kill off leaking monsters, rather than having to rely on an emergency boost for an extra attack or ability like you had to pre-Gold, when Azra’s direct damage spells were static (and largely useless).

— End quote

— End quote

If you have mana you should boost.

@Marak: I know, but also Lightning doesn’t do much in the later levels of NG+.

@Nepene: I know that. I do, but if I’m doing an Extreme, I fail to figure out whether or not the enemies are going to make it out alive. Actually, my logic makes no sense, and now I’ve realized that, I’ll probably do better. Thx.

Upgrading takes too long.

— End quote

Just pause the game, upgrade unit, unpause. And 4x speed won’t help in any way, it’s better to use 0.5x.

I know this thread’s a bit old, but boosting takes only a fraction of a second now, and I’ve had no problems with the animation being too long.