Trying to fix an old mod

Hi, I made the Dragon Pendants mod in the Steam Workshop, a mod originally created before the workshop went public mainly just as a test, however every time the game updates the mod tends to crash due to some reason, usually because the locale files are now missing strings. After many months of not bothering to fix it I’ve finally decided that now might be a good time with the daily deal potentially brining in more players, but I’m having some issues.

Here’s the latest version of it:

http://www.kieranmillar.com/defquest/DRAGON_PENDANT.zip

Issues I’m having:

1. I have deliberately always stripped this mod down to only including the files that it needs to replace to make it easier to maintain, however now it crashes on load. If I include the index.xml file from the locales folder, and also all of the contents of the en-US folder then this crashing stops happenening, which implies to me that mod loading isn’t working correctly for localisation files (in the absence of any new file, it should revert to loading the base game’s file in its place right?) Ideally it would be great if I could continue to distribute the mod with the bear minimum of files.

2. If I do get the mod to stop crashing by including all those extra files, then the cutscene backgrounds don’t load. This issue has happened before. A regression?

Using Steam v1.1.33.

You are probably missing the fonts file, which for some reason is needed. But it may not be that either (I think it was fixed).

What you are reporting happened to me too, but I can’t remember how I fixed it, sorry. :frowning:

Let’s see if I can fix this for you Melon! It was a popular mod.

Alright, I think I’m making progress here.

This looks like mostly my fault, I’m going to try to get a patch out today if I can.

Okay, fixed a bug where it was expecting every single locale file in your mod. Now, missing locale files are replaced by the same-language equivalents from the default game.

Alright, patch is done, version 1.1.36. Will be uploading this to test_public shortly.

Thanks Lars!

I just wanted to say that it’s really cool that the original game is still being updated and fixed even though there’s a sequel in the works and that you’re fixing mod-related bugs even though there aren’t that many of them. It’s much appreciated.

Game build version 1.1.36 (windows only for now) is up on test_public on steam.

I have just tested and verified that it works with your current Dragon Pendants mod up on the workshop (no changes necessary). You should probably grab the latest data_system.csv and data_item.csv from the main game and use a diff tool to see if there are any fields I’ve added (such as gold/unobtanium skulls, etc), or those will appear as untranslated error strings in your mod.

Please verify the patch works and doesn’t break anything else, and I’ll push it live (along with mac/linux builds) tomorrow.

While you were writing that post I was busy testing the mod. I updated all of the files to be compatible with the latest public version (1.1.35?) when trying to find out why the mod kept crashing so that’s already done. I’ve done a quick test and it all seems to be in working order now. The mod appears to be working correctly, no crashing and backgrounds are loading again, no obviously missing strings.

I’ve pushed the latest working version of my mod live with a note that it’ll be ready to play when the beta version reaches main. I’ll do a bit more testing of things and will let you know if I spot anything that’s broken.

Cool, if you can confirm the beta branch doesn’t break anything big I’ll push it live today.

I’ve been unable to find any issues. Lookin’ good!