game version is v.1.1.27
I think I have managed to get it working. I had an older saved file from a time when I played the desktop version some months ago on another machine before NG+ patch came out (I started a new game online this time because at the time it was a hassle getting access to the other machine with the installed desktop version of DQ).
I am almost certain it was some sort of corruption caused by exporting from online and importing into desktop. By hacking around with the XML (mostly coping and pasting) I managed to get it working correctly (I hope!). I gave myself another 500k scrap as compensation for my troubles :lol: