Worst Possible Time For A Freeze... EVER

This is not something I blame the creators for. Nevertheless, I have to share my pain.

Just now, I had the game randomly freeze up on me… JUST as I was about to finish off the Super Sheep.

deep breath

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Glad I got that off my chest. Y’all have a nice day now. :slight_smile:

Oh man, that’s awful. :frowning: While I’m glad you’re not mad at us, we’d definitely like to figure out why that happened. Freezes are getting rarer with the bug fixes, but we’d like them to never happen of course! What version are you running, and was this the normal super sheep or the New Game+ super sheep?

Normal super sheep, and I’m running 1.01. I have no idea what might have caused the freeze, although it may be worth mentioning that just prior to the freeze, I deployed every single one of my units to maximize their EXP gain. Could that have something to do with it?

Yeah, probably. That might be related to a memory leak we’re tracking down which is related to the memory overhead from recoloring character sprites.

Workaround for now: go into the accessibility menu and under penalty for “absence” set it to to -0%. (I think the default is -50%)

This way, all your defenders get full XP for the battle without you having to manually summon them, and you can complete the battle without risk of freezing from summoning all the characters at the end. Meanwhile we’ll try to fix the bug.

I take it as a point of pride that I’ve never fiddled with the EXP settings (not that I have anything against those who do). But I think I can live with it just this once. :wink:

For some reason DQ freezes my laptop consistently, but its probably the poor airflow (air vents at the bottom??). So I’ve been playing next to a fan with the laptop rotated 90 degrees to get all that sweet sweet cool air.

What exactly do the “Absence” and “Failur” options do? I always (since Gold Edition) wondered what those Options actually do… I guessed that abscence hat something to do with the Defenders EXP who do not participate in the game… but even put on None they still get less exp then then those i placed…

failure is a value thet decrease your exp and scrap reward when monster get Azra (you fail the level)

absence - reduces exp for heroes that were not on the map (not summoned) after finishing level

I just had exactly the same thing with the New Game+ Super Sheep, it only had 4 millions hp left… I wasn’t even deploying every one of my unit, just recalling my knight to move it… Anyway, trying again right now, hope it won’t freeze again! Playing the 1.0.21 version
Still, thanks for the gold version! You did great!

What’s the most current version we’ve put out there? I think we fixed this freezing bug/crash in the latest patch. As soon as I’m done with the kong version we’ll also roll out a new public downloadable patch.

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

What’s the most current version we’ve put out there? I think we fixed this freezing bug/crash in the latest patch. As soon as I’m done with the kong version we’ll also roll out a new public downloadable patch.

— End quote

1.0.27 is up for the testers, if they’re smart enough to try and list the directory as you didn’t link it. (My game didn’t notice any new updates, but I’m not sure if it’s your fault or mine)

I think it’s mostly my fault. Been so busy with the kong version I haven’t been paying very close attention to the regular builds - there’s nothing public past 1.0.22 and I’ve been pretty sloppy with updating the test server lately. I’ll synchronize / fix up everything on Monday.

I’m pretty sure any freezing/crashing issues from 1.0.22 are related to that memory leak we recently solved in the test builds. Version 1.0.29/1.0.30 will get pushed out Monday or Tuesday, and that should fix it.

Is there something I need to do to get upgraded? I purchased a regular copy back when it first came out and am currently on 1.022. When I do the endless bonus battles i am consistently locking up between round 30 & 50

I’m working on releasing the patch for version 1.0.31 soon. I’m uploading it to the test server in a minute, and if there’s no big new bugs found in it, we’ll release it live tomorrow. Your game should automatically detect it then :slight_smile:

Uploading/packaging version 1.0.31 now.

There’s a lot of changes since it’s been so long since the last one. Let’s see:
-“Guardian of the fountain,” the missing heavy armor, is now for sale at the Treasure Chamber, not as expensive as Evni

• I think we solved the huge memory leak issues somewhere between 1.0.22 and 1.0.31
  • Fixed a minor glitch in ice mage’s skill tree with “ice splash”
  • Added the new bonus books
  • Minor spelling and grammar fixes
  • Fixed the bug with the first hermit cutscene
  • Retroactively unlocks the first hermit cutscene if you’ve already visited the first hermit town

As well as a lot of changes only relevant to the kongregate version. I’ll update this changelist as I remember stuff. The new version should be on the test server within 30 minutes of this post.

Thanks. Can’t wait to try it out! :slight_smile:

Hopefully it fixed the bug I encountered today too where a mob stays at 1 health and is unkillable…

That one’s been posted a bunch of times before, It was a cultist, right? There was some sort of wrinkle in there. Enemies killed during knockback aren’t killed at that moment, but reduced to one health and then killed when they land (this behavior was added to solve ANOTHER bug). However, cultists are immune to knockback, so there’s some wrinkle in there where they get in the knockback state somehow, and thus their death is delayed, but since they’re not truly knocked back they never land, etc, etc. Anyways, I’m pretty sure I did something to address that since version 1.0.22, so theoretically it should be fixed. I guess we’ll see :slight_smile: