Dev Log

Version 1.0.47 is up on the test page. Stable/Debug. This has ALL the journal content!

I just loaded up the new version on Steam and had an avalanche of achievements, woo.

But Iā€™m still worried about my skull count. I need 2 more bronze skulls and 1 more obsidian skull to have all weapons / armors. The problem is there are 2 bronze skulls and 2 obsidian skulls available to me.

Is there some weapon or armor on my savefile that glitched and isnā€™t being offered to upgrade for the leftover obsidian skull, or are we meant to have one left over?

Also, in Journal Entry #1 shouldnā€™t it be ā€˜capitalā€™ and not ā€˜capitolā€™?

Edit: Iā€™m assuming Iā€™m missing some weapon from my file, considering I have no other weapons available to upgrade and yet Steam has not triggered my ā€˜Upgrade all weaponsā€™ achievement.

Edit2: Achievements that should activate that arenā€™t activating on Steam - Earn Every Unique Armor, Earn All Unique Weapons, Upgrade All Unique Weapons.

Also, for ā€˜Hero Modeā€™ - do you have to make a new save file and not recruit any generic units? Or does the game track which stages you beat with only the base characters?

My savefile is attached for figuring out which sword/armor Iā€™m missing and why the achievements arenā€™t activating.

Actually, Anthony designed it so you should have (1) Obsidian skull and (4) white skulls left over for reasons that I forget.

Weā€™ll probably create some more content in a future patch to take advantage of this - relax, youā€™re not missing any items!

Iā€™ll look into the achievements, and as for hero mode, yes it does require a separate playthrough. All it does is check if you a) have the right amount of progress and b) currently have no generic units.

So, since thereā€™s no way to ā€œfireā€ a defender, this assumes that you have started a fresh playthrough without hiring any generics. Of course, thereā€™s no way for the game to tell if you just copy/pasted your save file and removed all the generic entriesā€¦ but thatā€™d be cheating! :slight_smile:

There seems to be a bug with Steam achievements. ā€˜Super Sheep Slayerā€™ shows up in potential achievements global achievements, but ā€˜Sheep Slayerā€™ shows up only in global achievements. 0% have it and it doesnā€™t appear to be available in your personal achievements.

Also, your store page just went up. Is it my imagination, or are all the preview screenshots squished? It doesnā€™t look so great. :frowning:

Should we have been emailed our keys yet?

Yes, the screenshots on the store page are 4:3 images stretched to 16:9, so they kinda look wrong.
Other than that, nice to see it up~

Hope the keys are dished out pronto :V

Also, you say I should have 4 leftover white skulls, but my save file has 10 available and Iā€™ve bought everything available to me. It seems like something on the file I uploaded on my post is glitchy. Hrm.

Well, in an earlier Version, the left over skulls were different (you had 10 to many white skulls, but 1 to few obsidian skull).
So if you have a save game that you started in or before that version and applied the patches to it later, then of course your data will be messy. You got the10 white skulls to many of the earlier version but also the one to much obsidian skull that was added later.

Yinanā€™s probably right - if you played the game while we were still updating the test builds, we changed the balance around a lot and that might be the deal.

As for the achievement, Iā€™ll look into it and see whatā€™s wrong. I emailed new screenshots to Steam, they apparently need to be widescreen ratio, so I gave them ones with some padded black borders that shouldnā€™t squish.

Okey dokey. New build version 1.0.49, going up on Steam soon.

1. Fixed Error #1009 bug - 0 length save files no longer crash the game, they are treated as empty save slots
  2. Fixed eternal ā€œloadingā€ hang - related to a dependent .dll file we accidentally introduced. Fixed in 1.0.49 (probably)

As soon as some testers get their eyeballs on this, I will upload it to Steam. I need to verify 2 things:

1. That the above bugs are indeed fixed (possible to do by ā€œsneakā€ installing the zip fileā€™s contents into your Defenderā€™s Quest Steam installation directory)
  2. That no NEW bugs are introduced

So, for testers that donā€™t have the game on steam yet, you can still help us verify #2, which is at least as important as #1. The major things that have changed are file loading logic and the steam SDK bridge. I havenā€™t made any major tweaks anywhere else just yet.

Things are pretty hectic this week, so the next ā€œglobalā€ update to all versions of the game hits the public update server next Monday. This should cover our direct customers, as well as GOG, GamersGate, Desura, and Impulse - I think, at least. Weā€™ll also try to update the kongregate version and give them their long-promised direct download soon.

I have the steam key mailer script in hand. Iā€™m testing it now. If Iā€™m lucky, these will go out today. If not, well - sometime after today :slight_smile:

Mac version will be updated to 1.0.49 with achievement supportā€¦ eventually. Maybe next week!

I donā€™t suppose you can tell us how many new sales youā€™ve gotten over the past week? :slight_smile: It would be nice to know how many new people are enjoying the game on Kong+Desura+GoG+Steam combined. Hopefully enough to keep you guys from starving.

Things are going pretty well. We will release all the final numbers eventually, but Iā€™ll probably hold them back for a few months so I can leverage a featured article or a GDC talk out of it.

In the meantime though, Iā€™ll talk in general terms.
So far, so good. Weā€™ve had a lot of sales on Steam, but still less than our lifetime direct sales by a good margin. So we havenā€™t doubled sales overnight or anything on epic Minecraft level proportions.

I will share these numbers:

Demo->Sale conversion rate is 22.5%

That is stupidly high. That means that 22.5% of everyone who touches the demo goes on to buy the game. In certain contexts, 5% is considered a huge conversion rate.

Average play session length 62 minutes
Average time played 6 hours 49 minutes
Median time played 5 hours 17 minutes
Time played range 1 hour 22 minutes - 11 hours 49 minutes (one standard deviation of playing time)

Those playtime numbers are also scarily high, too. Compare that to the legendary Cliffskiā€™s http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2012/11/02/median-time-played-on-steam-for-my-games/.

Remember to sleep and eat, people! :slight_smile:

As was told a long ago on one http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/24/hours-of-towers-defenders-quest/

ā€” Begin quote from ____

Just donā€™t blame me if you end up missing meals.

ā€” End quote

So probably we all should blame this particular Adamā€¦ ))

Okay, did customer support for three straight days. All the keys have been mailed out, and now itā€™s time to get to work with some patches and stuff.

The plan is to roll out new versions for Monday. So, right now that means updating the game to version 1.0.49 across the board. Hereā€™s what I still need to do:

[list]
:13jaev9s]Update Kongregate build, add DRM-free downloadable game link + soundtrack/:m:13jaev9s]
:13jaev9s]Update Steam Mac build, integrate achievements and stuff/:m:13jaev9s]
:13jaev9s]Fix dll dependency in Steam build/:m:13jaev9s]
:13jaev9s]Roll out global 1.0.49 build to public update server (covers GOG/Desura/Impulse/GamersGate/Direct)/:m:13jaev9s][/list:u:13jaev9s]

ā€” Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

Demo->Sale conversion rate is 22.5%

That is stupidly high.

ā€” End quote

As I wrote on GoG - this was the first demo to which my reaction was ā€œShut up and take my moneyā€. Glad to see thereā€™s so many of us.

Launch has been insane. Iā€™ve been doing non-stop support for the past week.

My last task is to synchronize all the versions. Right now Iā€™m compiling version 1.0.50 and packaging it for the public update server. That will be going up today if Iā€™m lucky. Also, the kong version should get downloadables soon.

After that, Iā€™m going to try adding achievements to the mac steam version and fixing some of the minor bugs specific to the steam build.

Where is there a change log. You had mentioned changes to healers and I was curious how that was going to effect the game.

ā€” Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

Average play session length 62 minutes
Average time played 6 hours 49 minutes
Median time played 5 hours 17 minutes
Time played range 1 hour 22 minutes - 11 hours 49 minutes (one standard deviation of playing time)

ā€” End quote

I hope youā€™re using your own metrics from within the game code. If youā€™re using Steam stats, you can throw those away. Steam says Iā€™ve played 58 hours. My save file says around 24 hours. Not sure if youā€™ve fixed it yet but when I was playing this weekend, Steam had to be restarted in order to relaunch the game. It always thought the application was running after the 1st launch since Steam started.

From now on, every Friday Iā€™m going to scale back my Defenderā€™s Quest time and work on something, anything, else, so I donā€™t go insane. Rest assured, Iā€™m still here to support the project and stuff, and Iā€™ll still answer your emails and posts, but Iā€™m going to give myself some ā€œ20% timeā€ now that the main grind is over.

Hereā€™s what Iā€™m doing this week:

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/2012/11/ ... quest.html

Permanent thread for that project here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=587

Lars, gonna tweak healers more? Even in 1.0.51 the first dark level is a pain for level 8 party :frowning: , simply not possible to get perfect unless I get very lucky.
How about making Ether flash 100% light without damage (and points increasing duration), and Holy Light 100% light with small damage to all and BIG damage to dark? (Big as in ā€œon par with ice mageā€)

Yeah, I think we can do something like that. Iā€™ll keep you posted when I start working on the next patch.