Okay, so I'm back into the grind. Here's what's going on.
1) I'm working out the last bits of paperwork with a German-language translator. I'll be working closely with him as I fix the rest of the game's localization infrastructure and slowly pipe the German version into the game. The final build will have all language packs built-in, none of this separate SKUs for each region if I can avoid it.
2) I'm fixing some errors in mod support. Since I don't really have time to make mods myself, I don't think I'll discover all the errors unless some brave souls dive into modding and help me find them. Fortunately this is already happening I just fixed three such bugs today, and I've just posted the latest build, 1.0.55, to the test server.
3) I'm working on the mod documentation. I copy/pasted the public google doc to a Steam Guide. Their interface isn't great, but it's serviceable and since the Steam release that's where the majority of our players are, so it makes sense to put it there. I'm working on Steam Workshop integration, too.
4) Linux/Mac builds are a bit behind. Unfortunately, my portable hard drive just got bricked which slows down work on those fronts as I need to do some backups before I run my next set of experiments. Rather than hold off on public releases because I've been delayed on Linux/Mac, I'll try to get a new Windows build out whenever I can and then catch up on Mac/Linux at the end of every month or so.
5) I'm experimenting with porting the Defender's Quest engine to HaXe, a language which is very similar to Actionscript, and will (theoretically) give us better cross-platform support across devices, as well as a truly native C++ desktop build, and still keep our browser-based demo build. This if purely for R&D purposes, and is the first step in the technical foundation for our sequel. Basically, I put in a few hours on this every week until I reach my first milestone of getting a decent chunk of the game's interface (title screen, save slot screen, saving/loading save files, etc) working, without big stuff like the overworld and battle system. Once I have achieved that, I'll extrapolate from the time spent to get a rough estimate on how long porting the rest will take before we decide to go whole-hog on this approach or not. So far it seems promising and is going much faster than expected.
6) Whenever I get burned out I put some work into http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20121217/183671/Tourette_Quest__Media_Magic_and_Nostrils.php, my side project. It's generated so much interest that I think it's safe to say I will bring this to full release eventually, but I have no timetable for that and I don't want to distract too much from whatever follow-up we eventually do for DefQ.
7) I'd like to do cloud support for Defender's Quest on Steam eventually, but that's low priority for now as I have so much on my plate.
PARTIAL CHANGELOG (version 1.0.55, test release only):
-Fixed mod support bug: battles were not properly looking for mod data when loading
-Fixed mod support bug: overworld pearl array was not clearing correctly when loading a mod, leading to a crash
-Fixed mod support bug: targeting icons were not showing up in battle when a mod was active
The game is selling really, really well. I will post a follow-up to http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/168303/defenders_quest_by_the_numbers.php eventually, but for now I will say that we have made more revenue in these last few months than in the entire previous lifetime of the game. So, I think we have a viable business here.
We worked on this game for almost two years now (only about half of that was full-time), and nobody (except our contractors) got paid until after we went on sale in January 2012. So all of this revenue is now filling in the giant hole of not-earning-money I carved out while working on this. (I didn't go into massive debt or anything, but it was definitely a big risk!)
We are incredibly fortunate to have done this well, and we thank you all for your support. If sales keep up, I'll be able to continue doing this full-time, our other team members can continue doing part-time work, and we'll have enough to hire temporary contractors to do stuff like high-quality art, sound effects, and helping with technical stuff.