Dev Log

You dang kids and your videogames and your achievements and your trading card whatzamadoodles! It’s too much for a cranky old badger like me to keep up with!

Seriously tho, I’ll have a chat with our Steam tech and once I know what the heck this newfangled trading card business is all about I’ll see what our plans are.

Hey, it’s not our fault someone else did this to Steam!
As far as I know, it involves playing/idling in games and like drops in tf2 and you can trade them or something.

— Begin quote from "Hollow"

Any chance of you guys getting in on Steam’s new trading card thing? :slight_smile: The 7 main characters + possibly Zelemir.

— End quote

I don’t think so, Defender’s Quest Trading Cards? :expressionless:

EDIT: Lars, can you take a look at Bug 617 and 618 at Bugzilla?

Sure, sorry I’ve been neglecting it XD

— Begin quote from "MenDude"

Any chance of you guys getting in on Steam’s new trading card thing? :slight_smile: The 7 main characters + possibly Zelemir.

— End quote

I don’t think so, Defender’s Quest Trading Cards? :expressionless:

EDIT: Lars, can you take a look at Bug 617 and 618 at Bugzilla?

— End quote

They’re a marketing tool. Games with cards on Steam allow users to get 1/2 of the total cards available through playing the game. The cards can then be traded for other things across Steam that users are willing to trade for them - other cards, games, TF2 items, etc.

If you combine all the cards in a game’s deck together, you get a special background for your Steam profile and you get special emoticons to use in chat. I’d love for the exposure that DQ would get. :slight_smile:

They’re a marketing tool. Games with cards on Steam allow users to get 1/2 of the total cards available through playing the game. The cards can then be traded for other things across Steam that users are willing to trade for them - other cards, games, TF2 items, etc.

If you combine all the cards in a game’s deck together, you get a special background for your Steam profile and you get special emoticons to use in chat. I’d love for the exposure that DQ would get. :slight_smile:

— End quote

Ohh! Now THAT makes more sense! (I just can’t imagine like… an Azra card. :? )

Yeah, marketing tool would be a good description for it… But I do agree, it’d be a great way to get some DQ exposure! :smiley: [and I’d probably pick a DQ bg once I got all the cards]

Interesting! Well, once I finish up with workshop support I’ll check it out.

SPEAKING OF.

Workshop support is nearly done. The game now has a simple in-game mod browser that shows all your mods, and lets you upload/download from Steam Workshop. Or at least, it will once we get the API to stop crashing. We’ve got Ventero on the job, he should have this sorted for us soon. As early as next week, I will open this up to public beta on steam so I can get some eyeballs on it and see if it works as it should. After a week or so of ironing out any kinks, I will set it live and coordinate with our steam techs to see if we can’t get some front page promotion for it.

Meanwhile, I’m going to be launching a new website design pretty soon which will go along with our official Defender’s Quest II announcement. That will detail who the new team members are, as well as our new story and gameplay directions. Basically, we’re going to be learning from all the feedback on Defender’s Quest I, sticking close to the formula but injecting some major new mechanics so it’s not just a mod of the first game, and there will be … other things to announce, too :slight_smile: Of course, if you follow me on twitter you probably know most of the stuff already.

I have a suspicion what you might be up to, and if that’s the case then good luck to you guys. :slight_smile: If you need testers once the game is coming along, I’ll be glad to help.

(but if you sign a single temporary exclusivity agreement like Castle Crashers, Fez or Spelunky did, I’ll send trained monkeys with rocks after your knees <3 )

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

Meanwhile, I’m going to be launching a new website design pretty soon which will go along with our official Defender’s Quest II announcement. That will detail who the new team members are, as well as our new story and gameplay directions. Basically, we’re going to be learning from all the feedback on Defender’s Quest I, sticking close to the formula but injecting some major new mechanics so it’s not just a mod of the first game, and there will be … other things to announce, too :slight_smile: Of course, if you follow me on twitter you probably know most of the stuff already.

— End quote

Defender’s Quest II? WOAH!!! You just started to kill me out of my curiosity! :mrgreen:

EDIT: What’s your twitter username?

Given that Steam often out-sells consoles, I can say for certain that someone would have to show up at our doorstep with a truckload of money for us to sign any temporary exclusivity deal and so far I am extremely doubtful such a thing is likely to happen :slight_smile:

My twitter name is “larsiusprime” incidentally.

The fact that we’re doing some research on consoles isn’t a huge secret or anything, and we haven’t made any final decisions about whether we’re committed to any platforms beyond PC as of just yet. We’ll have a few other things to possibly announce though, that should hopefully be a surprise to many of you :slight_smile:

Steam Workshop Integration is now up for public beta testing:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/218410/ ... 0220333330

Version 1.0.78.

Most of the changes are related to Steam Workshop integration, but after testing is done, I will publish relevant upgrades to our DRM-free channels (Humble Store, GOG, Kongregate, etc) as well.

Changelog:
-Steam Workshop integration (beta)
-Download/Install subscribed mods from Workshop
-Upvote/downvote installed mods
-Upload local mods to Workshop
-etc

Lars, out of curiousity - do you feel you dodged a bullet by avoiding the Greenlight process? Most people immediately judge a game based on it’s first screenshot before clicking Yes or No it seems like (meaning anything with a more basic art style is skipped over), and frown upon it entirely if the game is available elsewhere. Epic Battle Fantasy 4’s developer Kupo707 is having a surprising bit of difficulty raising votes for his game despite being the #1 highest rated game on Kongregate and the #5 highest rated game on Newgrounds, simply because very few news sites appear to want to write articles on it.

I get the impression that if Defender’s Quest had been forced to be posted to Greenlight, it would have remained there to this day. :frowning:

Steam Greenlight might be responsible for us getting picked, in a roundabout way:

At GDC our Steam techs told us how we got picked: they were about to institute greenlight, but they had this huge backlog of submissions, and they decided before they moved over to the new system, they owed it to those in the queue to slog through the whole thing, give each one of them a fair evaluation, and then an up/down vote.

So they churned through their backlog in one epic session, and we were at the tail end of it, and apparently they liked us enough to get onto the system. If they weren’t moving to greenlight, I’m not sure how much longer it would have taken for them to get to us.

As for Greenlight itself, I’ve no idea if we would have made it through. We did have a lot of momentum and some great reviews, but I’m not sure I can really play the “beg people for votes” thing as well as others. I’m not good at building a web presence with a high number of daily users, which I think is what it takes to smash through the greenlight wall these days.

I think the main thing that convinced them, given the game’s semi-homely visuals, was our direct sales numbers. Of course, that was able to convince them because it reached them in a direct sales pitch. “Hey, you sell games! You should sell ours! It sold this many copies, and we’re a bunch of stupid dorks with no marketing budget who have no clue what we’re doing! Imagine what it will sell on your awesome platform!”

I don’t think fan voters on Steam Greenlight would have cared about a stat like that (in fact it’d look like some weird braggy thing in that context).

So to summarize I have no idea. We totally dodged a bullet.

Yeah, and not everyone uses Greenlight. I never really look through it unless someone tells me to check something out that’s in Greenlight. I never would have gotten into the game if it was in Greenlight. [Actually it was a daily deal and I tried the demo. Demos are definitely a good way to go. But I do like the oldstyle art.~]

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq

— Begin quote from ____

Borderlands 2  
CS:GO  
Don't Starve  
Dota 2  
Half-Life 2  
Portal 2  
Team Fortress 2  
Left 4 Dead 2  
Sanctum 2  
Go Home Dinosaurs!  
Triple Town  
Cubemen 2  
Monster Loves You!  
Really Big Sky  
Faerie Solitaire  
BIT.TRIP RUNNER 2  

— End quote

Faerie Solitaire and Triple Town now have cards. :slight_smile: If you guys don’t pester Valve to let you make cards for DQ I will frown so hard. As an example of what adding cards to your game does for your game:

— Begin quote from ____

I have a game on Steam, how can my game participate?
Contact your Steam Account Manager for details on how to get your game into the program.

— End quote

Pleeease participate. :smiley:

Already sent the stuff in. New games get added Tuesday/Thursday, so it will probably go live tuesday.

Have I ever told you that you’re my hero? <3

Don’t Starve has some beautiful backgrounds, emoticons and full card art splashes available, which has me anticipating DQ’s high resolution card art too. I hope you guys time DQ to be on sale the day it’s cards come out so I can bombard all my friends with your website page / store page (though preferably your website). :smiley:

THERE ARE DON’T STARVE EMOTES. [I am surprised the fandom has yet to find/post about them ono]

but eeee yes i would definitely get more motivation to edit the file and play dq again

We didn’t go up today. No idea when they’ll flip the switch. Stay tuned!