Dev Log

Apparently this Steam trading card malarkey thing is live for Defender’s Quest now.

I have to say I’m… pretty disappointed with the cards, in terms of both selection and quantity. :frowning:

I thought we were going to be able to collect 8 cards, each one of the main cast members (Azra/Slak/Ketta/Bakal/Wrenna/Markos/Dragon/Zelemir). ‘Azra’s Fall’, the Revenant and the title screen of all things?

Card collector games tend to feature characters, not… that sort of stuff, even Triple Town included all the buildings / bears. :stuck_out_tongue: Plus the more cards you gave Defender’s Quest, the more money you would have made from people buying and selling them on the Steam market. You guys would have got 10% from each sale. I guess it’s too late to change now, unless Steam will let you add in 7 more cards after the fact. I mean, some games have 12 cards available, sooo…

I just wonder why you went with these 5 cards instead of character cards that people would have actually wanted to collect?

I’ve actually created cards for all the characters, but I wasn’t super pleased with how they turned out. They ask for ultra high-res assets for everything, and our character art isn’t super high res. Also, from my reading of the instructions, I was supposed to create a set of 5, and I didn’t want to create an incomplete set of characters until they let us make more sets.

We didn’t really think ahead when we made Defender’s Quest 1, so we don’t have a lot of sexy concept art to draw on, so I had to scrape from our background art.

If/when they expand the card sets per game, you’ll get to see what I came up with for the characters. It’s not great, but maybe it will be okay.

Triple Town’s bear cards aren’t exactly what I’d call super hi-res, nor are Faerie Solitaire’s, so I dunno what happened there. I’m sure they would’ve allowed the cutscene art for each of the characters if you had submitted those. :slight_smile:

You might want to ask your steam rep why Triple Town got 12, Faerie Solitaire got 10~ and you were only given 5. Very odd.

Anyhow, maybe it would be a good time to put DQ on sale for $10~ directly through your site for 1-2 days for card-interested people to buy it, before the Steam summer sale comes along? :smiley: Might as well get as many purchases directly before everyone buys it there and it gets drowned out in all the noise.

Hi there!

I was just wondering what the patch notes are for the last couple of updates (current version is 1.0.87). Also, are the Completionist, Super Completionist and Hero Mode++ achievements earnable, since I seem to have 0 progress on them, even though I’ve earned 180+ gold stars without any recruits? Looking at global stats, it seems some people have them, but perhaps they were broken by some patch at some point?

The patch note for version 1.0.87:
-Steam Workshop Integration
-Updates to mod interface (support for audio, fixed a lot of mod bugs)
-That’s basically it

Patch note for version 1.0.88:
-Fixed various minor bugs that broke certain mods (particularly Melon’s “Dragon Pendants” mod)
-Fixed bug where berserker and ranger heroes started with wrong level/skills.

Not sure what’s going on with achievements. Some are reporting the problem, others say it works fine. So far, I’ve only seen reports where it is happening on XP. Are you using Windows XP?

Nope, Windows 7. I just sent the save file your way, hopefully you’ll figure out the problem.

Cool, thanks, I’ll try to diagnose/fix this issue tomorrow. Glad to hear it’s not an OS-specific issue, this means the bug is probably pretty straightforward.

I have a problem similar to JeiMK’s. Some time ago I played the game without integrating it with Steam, but after I did so today, I noticed that no matter what I do, Steam achievements won’t progress for me. I tried continuing my old saves and starting a new game, even earned a couple of trading cards, but all of this had no effect on achievements. And yes, my OS is WinXP SP3.

Okay, this one might take a little while b/c it’s hard for me to reproduce on my end. We’ll try to fix it though!

That’d be great, thanks :slight_smile:

I kinda remember actually having made progress towards the aforementioned achievements, but after a certain patch, all was gone. I think it was the one which changed the requirements for Hero Mode++. Earned a new gold star today, but nothing happened, no progress. Big Box o’ Killing-Stuff did tick, only two more to go for that.

Fixing a bunch of bugs today. I will push a new build to the test_public beta branch for our Steam build, and will upload our DRM-free build to our own test servers.

I still have some more bugs to go, and some meetings today, so these might not go up until tomorrow. Thanks for bearing with us!

The goal is to have Mac/Win/Linux builds for everything (Steam, GOG, Direct, etc) up and ready to be tested by Friday, and then push them live on Monday.

How about the missing texts?

Sure, I should be able to hit those too. Is there a specific list you’ve sent me that I’ve inevitably overlooked?

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

Sure, I should be able to hit those too. Is there a specific list you’ve sent me that I’ve inevitably overlooked?

— End quote

Nope, just http://www.defendersquest.com/theforum/viewtopic.php?p=4206#p4206 - mentioning it because it seems to be a fair chunk of work.

Cool, that’s on my list. I’ll be sure to put that in the bug tracker.

Just posted this on Steam:

— Begin quote from ____

Hey everyone! Patch version 1.0.90 has just been pushed to the “test_public” beta branch. Here’s what’s new:

Fixes Speed stat text cut-off in skill previews
Fixes enemy armor stat displaying incorrectly
Fixes display errors with skill bonuses for bleed, poison, etc, flavors
Fixes exploit that lets you purchase multiple unique armors
Fixes infinite-inspire exploit on boss levels
Fixes “can’t delete saves when cloud saves are on” bug
Added checkbox to force workshop to open in your web browser
Fixes display glitch with water enemies
Fixes glitch with credits music in ending sequence

Just Windows for now. I’ll try to get Mac/Linux out ASAP, and they’ll also go on test_public.

I’ve also taken the liberty of recompiling the SteamWorks communication layer form scratch, hoping this will fix the notorious “can’t get achievements bug” some of you have been having. I haven’t been able to reproduce this on my own computer (my achievements work fine), so if this doesn’t fix it I will add error logging to the next build to help track the problem down.

Here’s how to try out Version 1.0.90:

1. In your steam library, right click “Defender’s Quest”
  2. Click “Properties.”
  3. Click the “Betas” tab
  4. Opt-in to the “test_public” beta branch. No password is required.

Your game should update and get the patch. If it doesn’t:

1. Open Properties–>Local Files tab.
  2. Click “Verify Integrity of Game Cache”

This can sometimes force the game to update if it’s not behaving.

Warning

I will always push the latest patches to this beta branch for testing before public release, so as to minimize any damage from new bugs I might be introducing.

So be advised: test_public features the latest code, which might be unstable. I need your help to test it, but if you’d rather just wait until it’s safe, don’t opt in to the test branch and you’ll get the tested update a few days than the testers.

— End quote

Sorry no builds on Humble Store, GOG, public update server yet. Steam’s beta branches makes distributing to testers really really easy, so that’s my new pipeline for now. Will try to get something up for everybody else tomorrow.

And yes, I know this is only like half the bugs. Will address those shortly. I figure I’ve got a solid week of bugfixing ahead of me at the least.

Glad to see you’re still working on perfecting every aspect of the game. :slight_smile: Though, since it’s still profitable for you guys, I guess you can afford to.

Also, how much traffic did SteamGifts give you guys? :smiley:

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

Fixes infinite-inspire exploit on boss levels

— End quote

Just out of curiosity, how does it fix that (assuming the exploit is summon healer, Inspire-recall, and not something else)?