Dev Log

Just uploaded version 0.9.08+

This fixes a bunch of little crash bugs I introduced in 0.9.07+, as well as a few others from the Bugzilla database while I was at it. Did some good triage today. Now I gotta do some accounting!

HEy how do I get to play the test sever? Please help me.

Send me a PM and Iā€™ll give you an invite.

do you apply the updates on kongregate? cuz i havenā€™t seen any update there latelyā€¦ and BTW, i donā€™t wanna play the game in any place other than kongā€¦

Yes, every version everywhere will get the same updates. There havenā€™t been any major updates for a while because developing the new gold content requires ripping the guts of the game out, fixing it all up, and stuffing it back in. So, even if I wanted to, I wouldnā€™t be able to release an incremental update right now because the next update is only partially finished. The art is slightly mismatched while we finish replacing the old stuff, NG+ is mostly finished but still not complete, etc.

When everything is said and done, both the Kong and Downloadable versions with have the same content in the next free update.

New Version 0.9.09 is up, with various bugfixes. Also working on some new art integration, which Iā€™ll post about tomorrow.

when do you think gold edition will be out?

Lars, have a look at this: The handā€™s creep stats panel. It just horribly doesnā€™t cope with too much content. Not sure what would the best solution be:
a) scrolling
b) auto down-scaling fonts
c) truncatingā€¦

BTW, I donā€™t think that original armor value is really neededā€¦ after all, we can get it from the wave tooltip as itā€™s the same for all creeps in the wave.

@coyot:

Yeah, the problem is that Iā€™m showing partial values, doubling the text length for each thing. So when both the speed and the armor have been debuffed, it screws up. I figure you donā€™t really need that info so Iā€™m going to remove the original value - you can deduce it from the wave tooltip and/or status effect tooltips. Iā€™ll give that a shot and see if it works.

@titan118:

Not too long now, but ā€œwhen itā€™s doneā€ is still the best I can say :slight_smile:

@coyot:

Fixed the hand bug. Should be live in 0.9.10+

Dev log for Wednesday, May 16, 2012:

-Got a lot of new tiles in today. Really starting to spruce up the levels.
-Tyvonā€™s getting me new sprites today, but I wonā€™t be able to integrate them till tomorrow

The main thing I did today was a lot of memory profiling. I really want to make sure that the gold version runs a bit smoother than the previous release. By aggressively using the FlashDevelop profiler Iā€™ve been able to clean up memory in a lot of places, but still not quite getting to where Iā€™d like. Still, itā€™s an improvement and thatā€™s good.

Although Iā€™m not making any promises here, I have a personal goal to get gold version done by July 1st. That gives me a little more than 6 weeks. The artists should finish up their work soon, and then I can focus on managing Anthony and Jamesā€™ contributions, which are finishing up.

Gonna try and upload a new test build tonight. Hopefully I didnā€™t add too many critical bugs.

Uploading new test build. Should be done in about 5 minutes.

I also noticed that the creep status tooltip disappears on every recalculation of effect. (Note added to Bug 364)

ā€” Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

@coyot:

Yeah, the problem is that Iā€™m showing partial values, doubling the text length for each thing. So when both the speed and the armor have been debuffed, it screws up. I figure you donā€™t really need that info so Iā€™m going to remove the original value - you can deduce it from the wave tooltip and/or status effect tooltips. Iā€™ll give that a shot and see if it works.

ā€” End quote

Yep, works nice. But might I suggest making the contents fixed? Right now it seems to be somehow autoadjusted/wrapped/centered based on how many entries there are - and I think itā€™d be better for each attribute to have itā€™s own place, so that we could actually get used to knowing them by position.

Uploading new test build. Should be done in about 5 minutes.

ā€” End quote

Bad news, bug 365 still bites.

Yeah, I didnā€™t even see Bug 365 until I submitted the build. Thatā€™ll be fixed first thing tomorrow morning.

Bug 365 is fixed! Will try to get the fix out in build 0.9.11 and get it uploaded before Lunch.

Just got version 0.9.11 compiled. Uploading now.

Today was kinda crazy, had some family visits, but got some stuff done. Mostly a lot of profiling - found some pretty big memory leaks I was able to squash, and also fixed some things from way back when that are totally bass-ackwards (mostly unecessary sprite caching and stupid-slow custom colorization) So the game should load a lot faster now and hopefully use less memory overall. Also fixed some big crash bugs, who knows if I added more inā€¦

Anyways, Iā€™m uploading this. Upload will be finished shortly.

Also fixed some big crash bugs, who knows if I added more inā€¦

ā€” End quote

I know, you didā€¦ and not exactly small ones :frowning: . Looks like recalling troops can sometimes go haywire - and map restart causes a total lockup of the game. Bugs filed with more details.

Iā€™ll try to fix all that stuff Sunday/Monday when I get back.

Thisā€™ll be the last time I rip out the engine guts for a while, so hopefully it will all be much more stable from now on!

Where can I download version 9.11?