General/random talk thread

Lars, is there a way to allow/create a “report user” option, seeing as this spambot’s made fourteen posts?

Edit: it just doubled its post overnight =_= ;

Also, is it just me, or did the member count inflate by about 2,500 since November…? ((maybe I didn’t notice sooner though so woops))

I emailed Lars a few hours ago telling him about the spambot, and he got on and deleted the user and its posts. Yay! Thank you Lars! (And sorry if it seems like I’m making so many posts in a row! D: )

I feel bad for spamming the thread that I started, but I would like to see this thread encourage more people to come by the forums when they have time! D8
Anyways, I got approved for my first apartment that’s completely in my name! I’m a little excited about it, even though I know I shouldn’t be. I just gotta get everything all packed up. After I’ve been there for a month or so, I might consider getting Wi-Fi, but it depends on how many hours I’ll be getting after the move. Dl;

So how has everyone been? What have you all been up to?

School has been a problem! Couldn’t work much on the PC.

Aw man! D: yeah, I know that feel. What are you taking, if you don’t mind me asking?

Well, I’m not in the USA or any other English-speaking country soooo…

— Begin quote from "MenDude"

Well, I’m not in the USA or any other English-speaking country soooo…

— End quote

Ooh ooh, let me guess!

Is it… FRENCH? 8D

Nope, that is 2 countries away!

Tip: Sorry, this tip is so obvious it is pretty much giving the answer, lol.

I don’t know the geography outside the us very well so lD

Well it’s in Portugal (you could’ve simply saw the language i’m translating DQ1). :stuck_out_tongue:

Ohhh
Yeah I’m too lazy to do that. XD too busy packing, too, to get online nice and proper (woo mobile, the only time it works okay). Moving day’s tomorrow, so I need to have everything as nice and as pretty as I can make it within seven or eight hours or more. Aalso hope that electric can be turned on since WOOOOOPS no one told me I needed it turned on so many days in advance and apparently they want me to go in and ~prove~ myself. Ran out of tape and have no bubblewrap, so I’m feeling really SOL rn. And I have work at eight am the next day, so my morale regarding the universe and my place in it is getting kinda low.

Oh, and thanks Lars for deleting that second bot!

Wow, that’s alot. :confused:

Well, good luck then!

Thanks! The move was… well, an adventure. @___@ first we had to drive out to prove my identity because it would be my first bill in my name, THEN drive out to the OTHER side of town. So we wasted about an hour driving from one building to the next, and neither were very local for my sister and I :confused: then the power wasn’t supposed to come on until tomorow morning, but my sis swears up and down that our sales pitch on behalf of Starbucks got the power on, since the clerk we spoke with was a fan. XD;

And now I’m ready for sleepies. Least I get two days off, so I can do laundry and unpack. …though laundry will take a few hours elsewhere… :confused: the complex’s laundry facility is… well, half as deep as what I know/grew up with and I saw three broken machines? Yeahno I’ll go across the street. It might even be cheaper.

Oh hey the OT forum’s finally back down to normal size. @3@

— Begin quote from "Babaganoosh13"

I was extremely disappointed that this was spam. I just finished “A Touch of Frost” by RD Wingfield yesterday. I haven’t seen the TV show, but the book was really good. He comes across like a saucy British Columbo.

— End quote

Saw no point in talking about it in that topic, but what is that about?

I think the title was: “Could use a bit of detective work here.”

Then the spam had nothing to do with detectives or problem solving.

EDIT: or the book?

“The murder of a local drug addict, the hunt for a serial rapist, a hit-and-run involving the spoiled son of an MP, and a robbery at a strip joint all have something in common.” (Plus a missing 15 year old daughter of a rich man) “Detective Inspector Jack Frost has been assigned with the thankless task of investigating them. Fighting the stress and ignoring his mounting pile of paperwork, Frost soon finds himself up against the various manifestations of criminality…”

Basically, they were understaffed that night because of a retirement party for a police chief when all this stuff went down.

I meant the book. XD;

Ahh. Crime/detective genre doesn’t really interest me, unfortunately. The closest things I like that could even be remotely called detective genre are Law & Order and Bones, and yeah. Those definitely don’t have the same feel as the PI/whodunnit novels. Or movies. I don’t even care much for spy stuff. I like those shows more because they seem psychologically and emotionally driven, and show more about humans than about the ~mystery~. The focus is more on the who/why, not the what, if you get what I mean?
What other sort of books do you like?

A lot of the best mystery novels (and shows) are about the people and why they killed a person or persons, rather than just the action or clue searching of the crime and hunting down the killer. That Frost novel had all sorts of different crimes going on at once, but as you’re reading it, you also find out that many of the people involved with each seperate crime, had many connections with the people from the other crimes in some way. For instance, [spoiler]while Frost was investigating a robbery at a strip club, he found the missing 15 year old girl there. The reason why she ran away from home was because she came home from school early because of a teacher’s strike, and found her mom was cheating on her dad with a cop, who turned later turned up dead near an armed robbery at a pawn shop where the owner bought some stolen gold shillings from a house break-in that Frost was also investigating.[/spoiler] There were even more things linking the cases together, even though so many of them weren’t really related in any way.

Agatha Christie is also really good at being more about the people involved, as opposed to say; Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories can be which incidentally I also love.

Certainly today’s mystery/detective shows are more along the lines of L&O/Bones/CSI/Criminal Minds than Colombo, McCloud & McMillan n’ Wife. Dexter is my favorite modern one, largely because it takes it in a whole different direction.

That’s all for mystery. Sorry, it’s just my favorite form of entertainment. When A&E cancelled Nero Wolf; it’s highest rated program at the time featuring multiple award winning actors/actresses in favor of much cheaper stupid reality shows; it was the only time I ever wrote to a network.

Anyhow, for the most part I also used to read o lot of silly books like George Carlin’s and Chris Rock’s. I would even throw Louis Theroux in there. He does documentary/biography stuff, but it is largely on sub cultures so it tends to be pretty funny. The last one I read was the Ron Burgundy book. It was alright.
Also, I’ve read a lot of true crime stories (although that’s pretty related to mystery. Max Haines is my favorite writer there.)
A few of us at work were trading around the Star Wars books. I’m very hit or miss with sci-fi. Some of the Star Wars ones are great, some really stink and I can’t get through them. I read Isaac Asimov’s stuff when I was pretty young.
I’m also even more so hit or miss with horror. I’m more classic horror than modern.
I have a friend from grade school who’s an author too, so I read his stuff. It’s more outside what I usually read, but I like it none-the-less. There’s http://www.amazon.com/Ryerson-Mr-R-W-Duder/dp/1475028741, and he also has a kids book out.

I’ve spent the last 12 years of my life working nights. A lot of that has been on machines that can basically run themselves. I’ve got a lot of reading in over the years.

How about you?

Oh man, nights working with automated machines? Jeez, i’d love to have that kind of time to read.
I used to be a big horror/scary stories fanatic when I was younger. Goosebumps was my first major series, because it had unpredictable plot twists and that was such a rare thing in children’s books. Even now it’s still rare to see some of those twists that come in the last few pages. Then I got into Stephen King and Dean Koontz by junior high. Phantoms was the first book that made me a little scared to sleep at night (lest I wake up into some sort of surrealish hell or lost). It’s funny, since horror/ghost story shows would easily scare me, but their books had less effect on me. (Except “real” ghost stories. I’ve never even seen a ghost but I still get affected by hearing creepy stories about them).
Then I got into fantasy, and haven’t really turned back since. I like stuff about medieval-ish time periods, dnd sort of stuff (I’ve been reading Salvatore’s Drizzt books the last few years, when I can), or modern vampire/witch/psychic/fantasy settings (Sword, fire, and Ice was one, I think it was called . Or Sword, Snow, and Stone… it’s been about six years and a standalone, but it was the best modern-gone-fantasy book I’ve read since)
Sometimes I read typical teen books too, where it’s all plausible life stuff, just for the heck of it. Or somewhat plausible, like Green Angel; Eat, Pray, Love; or some of the classics. I’ve been trying to catch up on my Big List of Books, but college kind of crammed so much in such little time that breaks saw little reading done. I’m more interested in Teen and Children’s fantasy than adult’s lit because apparently adult fantasy also means it includes adult fantasy and I just personally don’t care for that crap to “spice” up my reading experience.