Moderators/Alphas/Betas/Testing -- Getting Organized!

Okay, so we’ve got our new forum up and running.

Moderators

If you were a moderator before, you should be one again now. Please let me know if I missed you.

User Trust Levels

In Discourse, we deal with anti-spam and soft-moderation features by user trust levels that build up over time by using the forum. I’ve gone ahead and manually assigned some trust levels for the most active forum regulars, so some of you will notice your trust levels have been set to “elder”, “leader”, “regular user”, etc. Trust level 0, “new user” has the lowest permissions and is used to weed out spammers. I don’t have time to manually upgrade everyone, so if you’ve mostly been a lurker, don’t worry – you don’t have to do much to move up in the ranks, even just reading posts increases your trust level. Read more here.

Alphas/Betas/Secrets

There’s a new “Secret” category that only members of the alpha user group can see. When we get to the beta period, we’ll open it to the beta user group too. I don’t intend for the “Secret” category to be some big fancy insider’s club or anything, because I like to do development as openly as I can. The only thing I expect we’ll use it for is truly sensitive stuff, like features with lots of spoiler potential that need early, discrete feedback.

I’ve granted alpha access to a few old-timers who had it before, but I need to go through our records and update everyone. You should have gotten a survey from humble in your email if you pre-ordered at beta level or above asking for your forum username. Please enter it there if you haven’t already.

Also, if you were a tester before and want to continue helping us, please let me know – dedicated testers have equivalent permissions to alpha backers.

Let me know if you have any questions!

1 Like

I’ve sent out invitations to alpha backers who do not have registered forum accounts, as far as I was able. They should be automatically added to the “alpha” group upon registration. If you know you’re an alpha/beta backer and haven’t gotten your group updated, please let me know.

How do you know you are a moderator? Will there be any “color schemes” or something else?

The magic wand next to your name.

Ah, ok, thanks a lot. Now I can transform useless stuff into hotdogs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just got here, sniffing around (not just for hotdogs)!

Do you mean discrete or discreet? (Ha, sorry for grammar correction, I can’t help myself.)

This sounds good and apparently I am a “new user” again.

Just wanted to check, I ordered the Beta Tier, but haven’t received an email from humble about the forum username. Maybe it just takes some time?

I have no idea how that works, but maybe Lars will e-mail Humble so that they e-mail Beta accounts (probably with a random username) to everyone who bought Beta.
Alpha users not only get Alpha but Beta too! :smiley:

Beta hasn’t been done yet, Alpha barely started (but it did start), so don’t worry much right now, Lars has probably something up, but wait patiently! :slight_smile:

All the info I would get from the humble form is your forum username and email address anyway. If you just PM me with your email address, then I can hook up those permissions for you. Please note that we’re in early-early-alpha right now, so beta access won’t start until a little further down the road. That said I can go ahead and set the userbases up now.

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the reply. No worries, not in a rush for things, just saw the post and checking on the details. I know this may sound stupid, but I’ve been searching the forum site, and can’t figure out how how to private-message you. If possible, could someone fill me in on that detail? Thanks for helpin out a forum-noob here :sweat_smile: Lookin forward to seeing what’s in store in the following months.

This forum likes to hide UI things to be “less confusing”. (I hate this UI trend: if something is invisible, you have no way of discovering it.)

If you are viewing somebody’s posts, you can click on their username or icon to: send them a private message, visit their profile, or view their posts.

A private message button is also on a user’s profile page.

update Ewww… the hiding is even worse than I thought. If you are a new user, you can’t access some basic functions, like sending a private message. Although with the default thresholds mentioned in What do user trust levels do? , it doesn’t look like it would take too long to get a level that allows sending a private message: mostly, just read a bit.

1 Like

Nfol,
Thanks for the tips. Thankfully, I’m in no rush as it’l still be awhile before the beta arrives, good to know.

The new user safeguards are basically an anti-spam measure. If it turns out to be too onerous, I have the ability to change the defaults and we’ll see what happens.

Yeah, there haven’t been PM spams (yet?).

Arg, I forgot to follow the Humble link and “activate” my alpha access. :frowning:

Ah well, better late than never, I guess.

Just added your credentials. It’s all powered by hand anyways :slight_smile:

I still forgot to bug you about it, making me look like a slacker. Been reading all your tweets and trying to keep up to date, though. Excited to see what you’ve got up your sleeve in the coming months!

I don’t remember whether I’m in the Alpha or the Beta, but I got an invitation forever ago. I also don’t know whether there’s a distinction between “Alpha user” and “tester”. I’ll probably want to find time for DQ2, but now that Early Access is a thing, I’m finding that Early Access is mostly a way to burn yourself out on games before they’re even finished. Anyway, I’ll do what I can, but I have no idea how much. As someone with a growing interest in game design, I probably owe it to myself to do more than I simply feel like doing in the moment.

I just became an Alpha backer a few days ago, and I do not have the survey you mentioned from humble. I know you posted this a while ago, but is that survey still being sent out to new alpha backers, or is there another process I need to go through to get access to the Alpha forums and the Alpha?

Unfortunately with my current access level, I don’t think I have the ability to PM anyone, so this is the only place I can contact currently.