The big Localization/Translation Thread

More stuff that needs localizing/fixing:

1. Back/Next/Skip buttons when viewing cutscenes.
  2. Thefont used in list of battle rewards either needs foreing characters added or maybe it could be replaced with the font used to list Azra’s status above (left column of battle result.
  3. Skill preview uses “Target” ($MISC_ family of labels)

Related observations:

1. I only glimpsed one case. When you get a battle reward, it will word-wrap the name correctly if the text is too long to fit, but if it’s exactly as wide as the text area, it will not wrap - AND the doublequotes that surround it will be outside the area. Observed it with Defending the nest, advanced difficulty, Czech translation.

And more - missing texts:

• on battle rewards, when you get two items, the button on first page says “1 more”.
  • And from the buttons for the reward, “Equip” is not translated, “Continue” is.
  • party screen - “pts” and “LEVELUP!” in level progress bar
  • Eztli’s spells (Spells label is ok, contents not localized)
  • Skip button in credits
  • texts in credist, although I think we can live with that…
  • book tooltips on party screen: “spell cost” and “spell cooldown time”
  • Unique item upgrades in hermit shops - the “vs” weapons list their favorite target untranslated - the “vs.” is translated.
  • Unique item upgrades in hermit shops: +x% base attack not translated
  • status effect tooltips in battle show non-localized flavour names.

Other issues:

• Misc properties in wave creep display in battle are displayed bold with a colon behind them, and fixed position, so they can overlap with other text. (I think that the best solution would be to expand the wave box (on hover in wave bar) dynamically to fit the contents as needed.
  • HERMIT button might need to be expanded to two lines. I think that in many languages the translation simply cannot be made to be anything as short as that.
  • Cutscene text bubbles might overflow with longer texts. Could their height be adjusted on-the-fly?
  • Unique item upgrades in hermit shops - Eye of the flame will easily overflow in translations (that is, the second line overflows, and the 5th goes below the item. Maybe just not adding the linefeed between the two benefits would help).
  • Poison status effect in battle displays text about lowered regeneration, showing completely nonsensical percentage value.

I tested the parts I translated and… some achievemnts in the “Easy” section are too big… the others are fine, though.

More findings:"$UI_EQUIP_SELL_OLD_FOR",“Prodat starý za <SELL_PRICE>?”,
contents is not translated.

Uh oh… I found something bad…

It seems I can’t edit data_enemies.csv without choking normal Revenant… Their code names ("$EN_NORMAL" or “$EN_NORMAL_NOMONEY”) appear instead of “Revenant”, when I select PT language, it also says worms (codenamed “SLUGWORMS”) are choked, but they work fine… If someone can help me, I would thank alot!

Oh, and here’s a list of stuff that don’t fix in the buttons (NOTE: Not every is translated.):

• Cultist’s description.
  • Reset pts button.
  • Redesign button.
  • Rename button.
  • Part of Crystal’s description during a battle is under the 45 Psi text.
  • Recall button. (I can shorten it, though, by changing it just to “Call”.)
    Err… That’s it… I guess…

Hey thanks! Sorry I missed this stuff.

@MenDude:

Do you have your translation files available somewhere for me to look at? Are they shared with me on a dropbox or a google doc or something? Thanks.

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

@MenDude:

Do you have your translation files available somewhere for me to look at? Are they shared with me on a dropbox or a google doc or something? Thanks.

— End quote

I sent you a PM with the download link, thank you!

Cool, I’ll check it out tomorrow.

Hello, first at all congratulations for the game. I´m a spanish player and a will like to contribute to the spanish translation of the game, i have got informal experience and will like to help

¡Muchísimas Gracias!

This is our sign-up page for volunteer translators:

http://www.defendersquest.com/fanlation.html

I’ll be more than happy to help with technical assistance. Let me know if you have any questions!

Already done, in fact i´ve done it before joining the forum. Right now i´m reading the instructions, and looking forward to start doing something tomorrow.

Cool, maybe ping me an email so I can remember who you are? Do you have a dropbox shared folder with me yet?

Just send you an email to leveluplabs [at] gmail [dot] com and after using the remaining functional brain cells a pm not marked as spam :roll:

Got em both.

Got the message with the dropbox folder, tomorrow i´m gonna start tinkering, hope i do a good enough job, it will be an honour to contribute to spand the game appeal, my seven year old daughter it´s starting to play some games, and to learn english, i´ll be a pretty proud daddy if someday she plays the spanish version with some of my work in it

I’ll help in any way I can :slight_smile:

HiToAll!
We try to translate game to our language and we need to know something.
How right pronounce name Eztli-Tenoch? Letter Z sounds like in word ZERO or like in word PIZZA? And CH on the end sounds usually (like TOUCH) or else?

— Begin quote from "Dimon485"

HiToAll!
We try to translate game to our language and we need to know something.
How right pronounce name Eztli-Tenoch? Letter Z sounds like in word ZERO or like in word PIZZA? And CH on the end sounds usually (like TOUCH) or else?

— End quote

I solved that by NOT translating any names :slight_smile: . Leave the reader to pick the pronounciation they see most appropriate. (For me that’s Z as in zero and CH as "kh’)

For what it’s worth, I get this wrong all the time. I always say “Eztli-Tenoch” as “Es-tl-ee-Ten-utch” but James (the writer) always says “Es-tl-ee-Ten-uck”. I think the original word is Aztec (Nahuatl) and means “Blood-fruit.”

I agree that sometimes the best way to deal with foreign words is to leave them alone as explicitly foreign, as far as your language’s alphabet will allow. Eztli-Tenoch is basically already a foreign word even in English, after all :slight_smile: