Dev Log

That’s a pretty important little bug there with the config file. Anything else you’ve noticed?

— Begin quote from "larsiusprime"

That’s a pretty important little bug there with the config file. Anything else you’ve noticed?

— End quote

The options screen needs fixing too IMO before pushing this out. Plus something small you’ve got in the mail.

Also, what’s the status of your czech translation? Would you consider it complete and ready for release? I got delayed a bit on pushing out our German translation because reasons, but nothing’s stopping me from releasing yours as soon as you’re ready. (I’d just need to formally adjust the credits and some other quick tweaks).

It just occurred to me, that, at least on Steam, there’s no reason I couldn’t let players distribute their fan translations directly to one another via Workshop. I could put in some tweaks to the interface so that “translation packs” for the main game could be downloaded and installed just like mods.

This would get us around the stupid legal liability obligations that require me to ask translators to sign over the rights to Level Up Labs so we can officially distribute their stuff. We could still keep the “submit stuff to us for official inclusion” policy, of course, as some people will probably want that.

Of course, that only works for translation packs available via Steam.

Thoughts?

Also, what’s the status of your czech translation? Would you consider it complete and ready for release? I got delayed a bit on pushing out our German translation because reasons, but nothing’s stopping me from releasing yours as soon as you’re ready. (I’d just need to formally adjust the credits and some other quick tweaks).

— End quote

The same as the last x months - I’m waiting for you to finish fixing stuff :slight_smile: )

In other words, please find time to go over the list of issues aggregated here, in mail and mostly in the localization thread. Once YOU think everything is done on your part, push the update and we’ll go over it with a fine comb, looking for some more non-localized texts. (I’m fine for things to go live as they are, as long as there’s a disclaimer somewhere that missing localizations are not due to my sloppiness :slight_smile: )

Sounds good, I might release it with 1.0.97, with a disclaimer about the beta status and technical glitches not being the translator’s fault. I assume that would add a few additional texts that then need translating :slight_smile:

Okay, so what’d be most helpful there is to get all the things I need to do in one place. I’ll start logging bugs from your emails and the localization thread.

In my PT translation, i’ll see if the enemy bug is fixed (still didn’t tested this), but I am working on the Journal.
Here’s my progress:
– Achievemnts: Done!
– Bonus challenges: Done!
– Defender data: Done!
– System: WIP, I think I only did a fifth or a quarter yet…
– SCRIPTS: Did. Not. Started.
– Items: Did not started.
– Enemy data: Only cultists and worms (normal).
– Status Effects: Done.
– Maps: Did not started.
– Journal: WIP.

HAH! I found out that one of the Journal entries is called ‘Wrenna’ and not ‘<mage_hero>’!

@MenDude:

What version of the game?

@MenDude:

What version of the game?

— End quote

That one is defo fixed in 1.0.96, just checked.

Just got these fixed up in my local build.

1. Fixed options->misc screen.
  2. Fixed options menu content not refreshing when localization switched
  3. Options menu now loads from the right place.
  4. New flags: UI_EQUIP_SELL_OLD_WEAPON_FOR / UI_EQUIP_SELL_OLD_ARMOR_FOR
  5. Fixed “x more…” in You_got screen.
  6. Fixed “Azra learned a new spell!” in You_got screen.
  7. Fixed “Equip” button on You_got screen
  8. Fixed “pts”, “LEVEL UP!”, etc, in Level-Up gem on Party Screen.
  9. Eztli’s spells now localized
  10. “Skip” in credits fixed
  11. Fixed Book cooldown/cost/etc

More coming soon.

Fixed “vs” types for hermits
Fixed “base attack” for hermits
Fixed error in shops where item tabs were not working correctly when the locale
is switched mid-game.
This also fixes an error where a similar thing would happen for item class
names in the party equip screen.
Fixed bug where mod screen wouldn’t refresh localization.
Fixed status effect flavor name tooltip bug.
Fixed back/next/skip on cutscenes.
Langified “target” in party skill preview.
Removed “blue/gold stars” text, replaced with graphics. Delaying success
indicators for now.
Cash out dialog fixed.
Fixed “reached wave X”
“Quest” translated.
Fixed “journal” tooltip.
Fixed “achievement!” popup.

Since this is so crammed full of entries, I’m punting on the rest of these,
I’ll save them for a future patch:

— Begin quote from ____

• texts in credist, although I think we can live with that…

• Misc properties in wave creep display in battle are displayed bold with a
    colon behind them, and fixed position, so they can overlap with other text. (I
    think that the best solution would be to expand the wave box (on hover in wave
    bar) dynamically to fit the contents as needed.

• HERMIT button might need to be expanded to two lines. I think that in many
    languages the translation simply cannot be made to be anything as short as
    that.

• Cutscene text bubbles might overflow with longer texts. Could their height be
    adjusted on-the-fly?

— End quote

Unfortuantely, no, but we have other options available to us. I believe I wrote something in that allows you to automagically force a cutscene line into more than one dialogue line (essentially auto-duplicating the line command so you can break a wordy line into two). I’ll need to look up the syntax.

— Begin quote from ____

• Unique item upgrades in hermit shops - Eye of the flame will easily overflow
    in translations (that is, the second line overflows, and the 5th goes below the
    item. Maybe just not adding the linefeed between the two benefits would help).

• Thefont used in list of battle rewards either needs foreing characters added
    or maybe it could be replaced with the font used to list Azra’s status above
    (left column of battle result.

• I only glimpsed one case. When you get a battle reward, it will word-wrap
    the name correctly if the text is too long to fit, but if it’s exactly as wide
    as the text area, it will not wrap - AND the doublequotes that surround it will
    be outside the area. Observed it with Defending the nest, advanced difficulty,
    Czech translation.

• (Bonus battles) Maybe removing the “blue/gold stars” text in
    the right column and replacing it with graphics would make room for some
    indicators (as well as be consistent with the star counters at the bottom).

— End quote

All fixes will be in version 1.0.97

Also I fixed the “half-stars destroy achievements” bug. This should apply to completionist and hero-mode achievements.

Uploading 1.0.97 builds to the test server. I’m going to try for all copies (mac/win/linux, DRM-free/GOG).

Once the Steam developer servers come back online (they’ve been down ~20 mins), I’ll push the steam builds to test_public, too.

OK, the most obvious missed texts - the Loading stuff at the very start. The first that is localized is “looking of updates” - so it’s Loading, loading assets, loading background and loading complete.

Also I noticed one thing that maybe doesn’t need fixing as it happens only during language development, but still, the pedantic nitpicker in me has to mention it:
If your config.xml has a locale setting that is commented out in locales/index.xml, the game will gracefully fail when creating savemenu. If a locale isn’t found, reverting to en-US should happen.

All of the test everythings are up on all the everywheres.

Mac/Win/Linux steam builds are live on test_public.

Mac/Win GOG builds are up on our test servers.

Mac/Win/Linux DRM-Free builds are up on our test servers.

Great!

Meanwhile, with my translation… “120 Texts Missing!” and all in system.csv. I lowered them to 87 texts, though! Oh! And why not making a system that if a text is missing, a “Insert missing texts” button could appear (at the language selection screen after selecting a language or at the missing texts screen, you would need to make it wider). THAT could make my job MUCH, MUCH easier. This would take time, anyway… But maybe for the sequel!

Actually, they were 130/97 texts, but those 10 are the enemies.csv bugged ones. I’ll work on that later. My suggestion would fix this, btw…

EDIT: A “Cancel” button for language selection screen would be appreciated, it’s rather annoying to press “Okay” and wait for the game to load again…

— Begin quote from "coyot"

Also I noticed one thing that maybe doesn’t need fixing as it happens only during language development, but still, the pedantic nitpicker in me has to mention it:
If your config.xml has a locale setting that is commented out in locales/index.xml, the game will gracefully fail when creating savemenu. If a locale isn’t found, reverting to en-US should happen.

— End quote

Oh! So THAT’S why test 1.0.96 crashes!

Coyot’s bug there (crashing when unknown locale is picked) could use some fixing in the next patch. Anything that makes it easier for fans to work on content, especially considering the fix (should be) trivial.

Okay, GOG version works fine, btw.
Oh, and the enemy bug isn’t fixed yet, so I guess I can’t translate $EN_NORMAL and $EN_SLUGWORM now. I tried to see the spelling, but everything’s correct. Btw, there’s a text called “$MSIC_LEVEL_UP!” or something like that, but it has $MSIC instead of $MISC. :stuck_out_tongue: